Old bus routes of Sheffield- information needed

Thanks, but thought I saw ATTERCLIFFE on the destination, but probably wrong.

you would have done as it went down through Firth Park, Page Hall to Brightside Lane up Brightside Lane to Newall Road to Attercliffe then into Pond Street via the wicker

The 1 seems to have had several variations over the years, including a spell in the late 1960s or early 1970s when it ran through to Millhouses, co-ordinated with the 17. Wish I had access to my timetable collection to be a bit more precise on the dates.

my posts are from memory from 63 to 67 when I worked for STD out of Townhead Street depot

my posts are from memory from 63 to 67 when I worked for STD out of Townhead Street depot

Your memory is right. One of the timetables I do have to hand is October 1964 when the 1 ran from Hillsborough to Pond Street via Fox Hill, Parson Cross, Firth Park & Attercliffe

I have been told that there was a bus route along Norton Park View?

I presume this was in the 1950's, not sure where it went to but an old guy was talking about it when I asked why that particular road was much wider than Norton Park Road, to which it runs parallel.

Does anyone have any memories of this, it's number / destination ?

Im trying to find information on the Buses /routes from Sheffield Lane Top Terminus in 1970 and earlier. This was before the 75s or 76s came along. I can only remember the old 33 to Hemsworth Bus before it started running from Shirecliffe. There was another one that ran from Lane Top during those years but I can not remember which one.I keep thinking Norton or Beauchief or something. Can anyone help.

Im trying to find information on the Buses /routes from Sheffield Lane Top Terminus in 1970 and earlier. This was before the 75s or 76s came along. I can only remember the old 33 to Hemsworth Bus before it started running from Shirecliffe. There was another one that ran from Lane Top during those years but I can not remember which one.I keep thinking Norton or Beauchief or something. Can anyone help.

In the October 1964 timetable it was the 33 which ran to Lane Top with additional buses on the 75 (which usually started at Firth Park, if I am interpreting the timetable correctly).

The 17 ran from Lane Top to Millhouses via Attercliffe in that timetable. This was extended at some point in the late 1960s to Beauchief.

I have a feeling that in the mid to late 1960s there was another service from Lane Top but most of my timetable collection is still unavailable. I have a feeling it was the 20, which was later rerouted to Southey Green, but I might have got that completely wrong!

I have been told that there was a bus route along Norton Park View?

I presume this was in the 1950's, not sure where it went to but an old guy was talking about it when I asked why that particular road was much wider than Norton Park Road, to which it runs parallel.

Does anyone have any memories of this, it's number / destination ?

The only route that comes to mind DumDom is the 74 City - Greystones - Norton. This cross-town service finished its route by coming up Meadowhead, turning left at the Norton Hotel and proceeding down Norton Lane as far as Cloonmore Drive which was the terminus. Here it reversed and went back the way it came. I understand that over time, there were various amalgamations with other routes and the part between Abbey Lane and Norton ceased in 1965 or thereabouts.

I would be surprised if there were ever a bus route along Norton Park View, but as oldrowley writes the 74 wasn't far away - here is a scan of a relevant page from a 1950s timetable .

Your best bet is to get old of old timetable booklets which were published in various forms uptill dereg.

Another source of information is to go to the history library in Sheffield and ask for copies of M&T news (Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiasts Society) these list all the time timetable changes when they occur from 1964 to present day - ring the library before hand and ask them to get the year you want from the deposit .., Remember you can not take the books away from the library.

the problem is even in Sheffield transport days routes change the 53 for example in the 1950s list didn't serve woodseats. The route as changed ie at first it terminated at woodseats abbey lane. In the mid 1980s it extended to eccelsfield to cover for the 49 route so there are always changes

I was a bus enthusiast back in the early 1950s, when the Nether Green school bus was an old Crossley attempting to get up Coldwell lane in the snow...lol!

It was an interesting time when we had beautiful Corporation royal blue lining and cream base.

I knew EVERY bus route but I may have forgotten some....

Here goes... (97% started in "City", which could be a variety of terminus areas such as Leopold Street, Midland Station, etc.

1 Firth Park-Hillsborough

2 Outer Circle

3 Outer Circle

4 Firth Park - Wincobank?

5 Southey Green - Attercliffe

6 Dinnington

7 Stannington

8 Inner Circle

9 Inner Circle

10 Peter Street

11 Dronfield

12 Chesterfield

13 Wisewood vi Dyke Hall Road

14 Wisewood via Malin Bridge

15 Kiveton Park

16 Bradfield

17 Unstone

18 Worral and Oughtibridge

19 Dinnington

20 (Can't remember)

21 Swallownest

22 Holmesfield

23 Woodhouse

24 Tinsley

25 Handsworth via Beighton

26 Killamarsh

27 Ringinglow

28 Bents Green

29 Blackburn

30 Eckington (via Frechville...I THINK)

31 Lower Walkley

32 Woodhouse

33 Hemsworth

34 Graves Park

35 Hollythorpe Rise

36 Batemoor

37 Bakewell via Baslow

38 Low Edges Road

39 Manchester via The Snake

40 Can't remember

41 Can't remember

42 Fox House

43 Woodthorpe?

44 Bamford

45 Totley

46 Darnal

47 Derwent

48 Manchester via Woodhead

49 Wordsworth Avenue

50 Dore

51 Lodge Moor

52 Wyming Brook

53 Thorpe Hesley

54 Rivelin Dams

55 Crosspool

56 Wybourne

57 Stocksbridge

58 Thorpe Hesley

59 Can't remember

60 Fulwood

61 Nether Edge (citywards of 98 which changed its blind at Southey Green)

62 Green Hill

63 Shirecliffe

64 Ewden Valley Village

65 Barnsley

66 Bradford

67 Leeds

68 Penistone

69 Rotherham

70 Wombwell and Upton

71 Prince Of Wales Road?

72 Castleton

73 High Green / Chapeltown

74 Millhouses

75 Firth Park

76 Darnall

77 Doncaster

78 Penistone?

79 High Green

80 Grenoside?

81 Ecclesall Road

82 Ecclesall - Middlewood

83 Birley via Base Green

84 Buxton

85 Retford & Gainsborough

86 Stubley

87 Maltby

88 Fulwood - Malin Bridge

89 Yew Lane

90 Ecclesfield via Grenoside

91 Grenoside

92 Manor Park

93 Stradbroke

94 Ewden Valley Village?

95 Walkley (Tinker Lane or South Road) - Intake

96 Charltonbrook

97 Southey Green

98 Southey Green via Longley Lane

99 Chesterfield

100 (Never was one)

101 Gleadless

102 Gleadless

105 Arbourthorne

106 Can't Remember...(something Thorpe Colliery, maybe?)

107 Dungworth

110 Parsons Cross?

116 High Bradfield

117 Loadbrook

120 Parsons Cross?

152 (I once saw this going to a school between Wyming Brook & Lodge Moor)

(a few more in the hundreds...but escaping me)

(There were several workmen buses from Firth Brown's, etc. with numbers I can't remember now.)

Hope this helps!

85 To Gainsborough ran until 1986 and was every 2 hours daily from Sheffield to Gainsborough

I have a copy of the 1957 timetable book which includes trams and train services too, if anyone has any queries relating to that era :)