Old bus routes of Sheffield- information needed

Old Bus Routes of Sheffield – Information needed

I recall from the Mid 60s the number 3 Sheffield – Mansfield bus passing through Frecheville. The Mansfield – Sheffield bus ditto. The bus was a double-decker in East Midland livery – dark green.

I also remember the Number 12 Sheffield – Chesterfield via Woodseats and Meadowhead. The bus was also a double-deck bus. It’s possible the bus wouldn’t let a passenger alight afore the Norton Hotel?

These 12 and the 3 buses always looked as if they were crying out to be cleaned.

Another bus to Chesterfield from Pond Street was the number 99 service. This bus went via East Bank Road, Gleadless Valley, Gleadless Town End, Ridgeway, Ford, Marsh Lane, Middle Handley (Devonshire arms?) and Barrow Hill.

The 99 was run jointly by Sheffield Corporation and East Midland Motor Service. The bus on this route was single-decker due to the low bridge at Barrow Hill. I remember seeing on occasion a double-deck bus on this route, and I presume passengers for Chesterfield would have had to change bus at Barrow Hill.

This reminds me of a track on the LP / CD Some Call it Godcore, by half man half biscuit. “Tour Jacket with Detachable Sleeves”. It mentions near the end of the song about a double-decker bus attempting to pass under a bridge with tragic consequences. LOL

There was also, from the mid-1960s, a Limited Stop route to Chesterfield numbered 512 which was timetabled to do the trip in less than 40 minutes. Another route to Chesterfield in the early 1960s was the 62 & 64 via Eckington, created when Sheffield's Eckington service was combined with the East Midland/Chesterfield Corporation routes to Eckington.

I used the 99 as a child in the 1970s when trips from home at Townend to Chesterfield were sometimes made, and I always got nervous when going under that bridge at Barrow Hill, despite the fact that the buses had been going under it for many years! The bridgewas so low that when Leyland Nationals were introduced in the early 1970s it was found that because of the "pod" on the roof they couldn't fit under it.

Sheffield Transport sometimes used double deckers on the 99 for peak hour extras to Gleadless Townend (and perhaps beyond - a lot of these extras weren't in the published timetable). Somewhere in my collection I have a photo of one such bus.

The routing of the 99 via East Bank Road and Gleadless Road was an early 1970s change, I seem to recall. Until that time it ran via City Road and Ridgeway Road to get to Townend, and at some point in history ran via Hollinsend Road up to the Heeley & Sheffield and then along Gleadless ROad to get to Townend.

Edited by Library
more waffle added

When I was a lad the No7 used to run from Campo Lane in town to the top of Stannington

(Darkoak, many a time I'd have been one of those drunks spilling out of the Golden Ball to get that last bus... great days (or so they seemed))

at the same time no 88 was Fulwood to Roscoe Bank

I think the Bradfield bus was no61 or 62...?

41 hackenthorpe

103 workmens bus ! Vulcan rd I think

It was the 703. That, the 769 704 and 712 all use to run down Prince of Wales Road, early sparras, taking the steelworkers to work. I used to catch the 05:10 703 from Hackenthorpe. On the way home you couldn't see anything upstairs because of the fog caused by all the cigarette smoke.

It was the 703. That, the 769 704 and 712 all use to run down Prince of Wales Road, early sparras, taking the steelworkers to work. I used to catch the 05:10 703 from Hackenthorpe. On the way home you couldn't see anything upstairs because of the fog caused by all the cigarette smoke.

The works buses were almost all renumbered when the PTE took over in 1974. Before that the 703 was the 103, the 704 was the 104 etc.

---------- Post added 16-02-2018 at 11:36 ----------

When I was a lad the No7 used to run from Campo Lane in town to the top of Stannington

(Darkoak, many a time I'd have been one of those drunks spilling out of the Golden Ball to get that last bus... great days (or so they seemed))

at the same time no 88 was Fulwood to Roscoe Bank

I think the Bradfield bus was no61 or 62...?

61 was Low Bradfield, 62 was the rather infrequent service to High Bradfield. Before being 61 and 62 they were 16 and 116 respectively.

I always liked the early Sunday morning journey (0750 from Campo Lane) on route 16 which ran during the trout fishing season only. Not that I ever used it or even saw it, but it was not something I saw marked on any other timetable.

Edited by Library

Old bus routes of Sheffield – information needed

Here is another photo of the 99 bus caught passing aneath Barrow Hill railway bridge in 1970s, on its way frum Sheffield. I think the 99 (without Flake..ugh) was an hourly service.

Drinkers form the Sheffield end often caught the 99 to go to the Old Harrow pub (‘Arra’..to those in the know) on White Lane, Gleadless. The 99 also passed the Phoenix at High Lane, the Queens Head and the Swan Inn, both in Ridgeway, the Bridge at Ford, and up the Hill at Marsh Lane were the Butchers Arms, and the Fox and Hounds. Next was the Devonshire Arms at Middle Handley.

Anglers caught the 99 bus to alight at the Bridge in Ford. There was (is) a large fishing pond nearby.

In the mid 1960s, for what it's worth, I lived in Coverdale Road and qued at the Abbey Dale Road bus stop at the junction of Carter Knowle Road

The buses that ran along the corridor were as follows as I recall around 1966-70:

Corporation

1 - Totley - City

17 - Millhouses - City - Sheffield Lane Top? 

24 - Dobcroft Road - City - ? 

45 - City - Totley (limited stop) 

61/63  circular - City? - Woodseats - Meadow  Lane - Beauchief - Ecclesall - Woodseats - Banner Cross - Ecclesall Road - City. 

Sheffield Joint Bus Services

22 - City - Holmesfield

36 - City- Batemoor

59 - City - Bradway

70 - City - Stubley

Various:  City - Castleton/ Bakewell etc. 

Ecclesall Road corridor:

Initially: 1966-67?

81/82 Ecclesall - Middlewood? 

67 -  ?    81/82 Ecclesall

88    Fulwood  - Rustlings Road - Ecclesall Road - City - Middlewood? 

Surely access to a specific year timetable would reveal all from library records. 

Hope this helps. 

In my short time I spent from Portsmouth, at Uni in the 60s, I recall the following routes:-

1   ? - City - Abbeydale Road - Totley (Replaced the city to Totley route section service 45)

4   Ringinglow/Bents Green - Psalter Lane - Cemetery Road - City - Firth Park

17   ? - City - Abbeydale Road - Millhouses

24   ? - Abbeydale Road - Dobcroft Road

50.  City  - West Street - Clarkhouse Road - Brocco Bank -  Hunters Bar - Ecclesall - Dore (1/2hr frequency service) 

52 Handsworth - Staniforth Road - City- West Street - Hanover Street - Uni - Crookes junc - Crookes

81/82.  Ecclesall - City - Middlewood(?) 

88  Fulwood - Rustlings Road - Ecclesall Road - City - etc. 

95  Intake - City - West Street - ? 

I might refer you to past SMT timetables held no doubt on public library websites for more route lists (you know: the cream colour covered ones!). 😊 

On 22/07/2013 at 12:01, fatrajah said:

The number 59 bus definitely ran through Greenhill village up to about 1968. I must have caught it hundreds of times to get to school & to work. The number 59 route was ceased when Greenhill Parkway opened & buses were no longer routed through Greenhill village.

59 City - Abbeydale Road - Bradway as I remember 1966-1968

Edited by BernR
Spelling mistake!

Does anyone remember the 61/63 circular:-

? - City - Ecclesall Road - High Storrs (this section from the City superceded by new service 88 operated by the smooth deep windowed Sheffield's own Neepsend bodied Leyland Atlanteans) - Abbey Lane - Beauchief - Woodseats - Abbeydale Road - City -? 

The service ran to about 1967. 

Edited by BernR
Spelling mistake!

4 hours ago, BernR said:

95  Intake - City - West Street - ?

The 95 was Walkly - Intake/Elm Tree via West St, Commercial Street, Duke Street and City Road.

Here's the 95 chugging up Duke Street in 1967 and 1965.  The top of Duke Street is still just about recognisable in the 1965 image, but the snapshot of a 1967 Sheffield is long gone. 

I last caught the 95 some time in the early 90s, when it was diverted all over the place (coming up from the city via Pond Street and Shrewsbury Road, as I recall) to accommodate the  tram works.  I hear it's no longer running, which is rather a shame.

Edited by Guest