Old bus routes of Sheffield- information needed

That was the other number 3 - Sheffield transport who operated the outer circle. The other number 3 from Sheffield to Mansfield via Clowne was East Midlands, now Stagecoach Mansfield.

Did that East Midland bus to Mansfield go via Eckington and Renishaw ?

Seem to recall that no.1 displayed Attercliffe/Foxhill, and 88 Rustlings Rd/Malin Bridge?

Did that East Midland bus to Mansfield go via Eckington and Renishaw ?

Yes, that's right. Not much changed in the route.

What was the biggest distance Sheffield buses (Sheffield Transport) went to in say 1960's on a regular basis. I know of Manchester, Leeds and Gainsborough but did any of those places have reciprocal arrangements with Sheffield ? As in did Leeds or Manchester buses run to Sheffield ? Gainsborough didn't have their own buses as that town was perhaps served by the Lincolnshire Road Car Company.

Edited by stpetre
Add

What was the biggest distance Sheffield buses (Sheffield Transport) went to in say 1960's on a regular basis. I know of Manchester, Leeds and Gainsborough but did any of those places have reciprocal arrangements with Sheffield ? As in did Leeds or Manchester buses run to Sheffield ? Gainsborough didn't have their own buses as that might have been Lincolnshire Road Car Company.

PMT ran from Hanley (Stoke) to Sheffield.

PMT ran from Hanley (Stoke) to Sheffield.

Annie, PMT was what ? and Stoke to Sheffield is a long way (no motorways). My point being, did Sheffield buses go to the Potteries ?

PMT (Potteries Motor Traction) was 'born' out of Midland Red when the Transport Act 1968 (started 1st January 1969) brought about the Passenger Transport Authorities.

Sheffield Transport with the old 'A', Joint Committee 'B' fleet and the Railway owned 'C' fleet were affected as the SYPTE would be taking over all the vehicles in April 1974. Leeds and Sheffield were not included in the original proposals when four PTE's were formed hence the delay.

Sheffield transferred its fleet of 49 single-deck and 633 double deck buses at this time, 399 of the dd's and all the sd's were available for one-man-operation.

The X53 Hanley - Sheffield came later and does not appear in the November 1970 Sheffield timetable.

Other than on hire, no Leeds City buses ran into Sheffield though the Green liveried West Riding Omnibuses (Wakefield based) operated jointly with YTC and Sheffield on the 67 route which had resumed its through service in March 1949 after WW2. These might have been what you saw in the 60's.

I believe the Gainsborough route became a joint operation with East Midland and Lincolnshire Roadcar.

I think stpetre has identified the longest regular services. Hope this helps!

Edited by Voldy
added explanation

PMT (Potteries Motor Traction) was 'born' out of Midland Red when the Transport Act 1968 (started 1st January 1969) brought about the Passenger Transport Authorities.

Sheffield Transport with the old 'A', Joint Committee 'B' fleet and the Railway owned 'C' fleet were affected as the SYPTE would be taking over all the vehicles in April 1974. Leeds and Sheffield were not included in the original proposals when four PTE's were formed hence the delay.

Sheffield transferred its fleet of 49 single-deck and 633 double deck buses at this time, 399 of the dd's and all the sd's were available for one-man-operation.

The X53 Hanley - Sheffield came later and does not appear in the November 1970 Sheffield timetable.

Other than on hire, no Leeds City buses ran into Sheffield though the Green liveried West Riding Omnibuses (Wakefield based) operated jointly with YTC and Sheffield on the 67 route which had resumed its through service in March 1949 after WW2. These might have been what you saw in the 60's.

I believe the Gainsborough route became a joint operation with East Midland and Lincolnshire Roadcar.

Thank you Voldy. What I meant was did Sheffield buses (Sheffield Transport/ SYPTE) run a regular route to the Stoke on Trent area and did Lincolnshire Road Car bus routes actually come into Sheffield from wherever their starting point ?

Potteries Motor Traction began as a tram operating company (Potteries Electric Traction) in the late 19th or early 20th century and change name to Potteries Motor Traction in 1933. Nothing at all to do with Midland Red or the 1968 transport act. Midland Red lost its operations in the West Midlands PTE area in the early 1970s but the rest of the company remained intact until being broken up in the early 1980s for the privatisation of the National Bus Company.

PMT did not operate buses to Sheffield until the mid 1970s when their existing Hanley to Buxton service was combined with the Trent service from Sheffield to Buxton. No Sheffield bus ever operated to Stoke. Until 1968 that Sheffield to Buxton service was jointly operated by Sheffield JOC and North Western Road Car as route 84, this being one of the routes taken over by the National Bus Company when the JOC finished.

A quick look at a 1967 timetable shows that on journeys to/from Gainsborough a change of vehicle was required at Retford, implying that Lincolnshire Road Car buses did not get to Sheffield, but in the early 1970s timetables the need to change is not mentioned, so I am not certain on this.

As well as the Leeds route Sheffield also had jointly operated routes to Bradford (route 66) and Huddersfield (route 68 ), the latter being extended in the late 60s/early 70s to Halifax.

Edited by Library

I remember the 365 Hurlfield school bus used to come down Maltravers Rd with the upper deck back seat hanging out of the rear window. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Old Bus Routes of Sheffield – Information needed

I recall from the Mid 60s the number 3 Sheffield – Mansfield bus passing through Frecheville. The Mansfield – Sheffield bus ditto. The bus was a double-decker in East Midland livery – dark green.

I also remember the Number 12 Sheffield – Chesterfield via Woodseats and Meadowhead. The bus was also a double-deck bus. It’s possible the bus wouldn’t let a passenger alight afore the Norton Hotel?

These 12 and the 3 buses always looked as if they were crying out to be cleaned.

Another bus to Chesterfield from Pond Street was the number 99 service. This bus went via East Bank Road, Gleadless Valley, Gleadless Town End, Ridgeway, Ford, Marsh Lane, Middle Handley (Devonshire arms?) and Barrow Hill.

The 99 was run jointly by Sheffield Corporation and East Midland Motor Service. The bus on this route was single-decker due to the low bridge at Barrow Hill. I remember seeing on occasion a double-deck bus on this route, and I presume passengers for Chesterfield would have had to change bus at Barrow Hill.

This reminds me of a track on the LP / CD Some Call it Godcore, by half man half biscuit. “Tour Jacket with Detachable Sleeves”. It mentions near the end of the song about a double-decker bus attempting to pass under a bridge with tragic consequences. LOL

...I also remember the Number 12 Sheffield – Chesterfield via Woodseats and Meadowhead. The bus was also a double-deck bus. It’s possible the bus wouldn’t let a passenger alight afore the Norton Hotel?...
That's right zakes - I have the 1954 timetable which states "On buses from Sheffield to Chesterfield, no passengers will be set down before reaching Norton Lane".