Old bus routes of Sheffield- information needed

85 To Gainsborough ran until 1986 and was every 2 hours daily from Sheffield to Gainsborough

What a great list!

Thanks.

What a great list!..
Yes indeed. For the routes that are missing from the list, the 1954 timetable gives No 40 as Bakewell via Calver South, 41 as Frecheville & Hackenthorpe and 106 as Brookhouse Colliery. There are also 150 & 151 Shiregreen, 194 Shirecliffe-Templeborough and 221 Intake-Treeton Colliery.

Your best bet is to get old of old timetable booklets which were published in various forms uptill dereg.

Another source of information is to go to the history library in Sheffield and ask for copies of M&T news (Sheffield Omnibus Enthusiasts Society) these list all the time timetable changes when they occur from 1964 to present day - ring the library before hand and ask them to get the year you want from the deposit .., Remember you can not take the books away from the library.

the problem is even in Sheffield transport days routes change the 53 for example in the 1950s list didn't serve woodseats. The route as changed ie at first it terminated at woodseats abbey lane. In the mid 1980s it extended to eccelsfield to cover for the 49 route so there are always changes

I think it is right that the point is made here that the continuing changes lead us to remember the old route numbers which we each remember from our eras.

My contribution to the 'missing' route 94 is that it started when the late 20's and 30's housing estates were built in S5 and was primarily a workmen's route from Southey Green to Vulcan Road very necessary in the 40's.It extended to serve as far as Deerlands Avenue; hillsbro has added the 194 in his last post which served the same purpose.

The 68 was the Huddersfield (via Penistone) and wartime caravan holidays at Carver Sough meant the number 40 would often see one of the green railway buses with 'extras' on Market Day!

A whole new ball game is now starting so plenty of scope for future forum posters :)

---------- Post added 30-09-2015 at 11:33 ----------

Edited by Voldy

Yes indeed. For the routes that are missing from the list, the 1954 timetable gives No 40 as Bakewell via Calver South, 41 as Frecheville & Hackenthorpe and 106 as Brookhouse Colliery. There are also 150 & 151 Shiregreen, 194 Shirecliffe-Templeborough and 221 Intake-Treeton Colliery.

In addition to your route numbers missing from the list, there were large areas of the populated city not covered, or accessible by bus.

This seems odd when it was our primary means of getting around, and subsequently required a great deal of walking to get to the the cinema, the shops etc.

For example, Gleadless Road, which runs from Heeley Bottom in a more or less straight line all the way up to Gleadless Town End. Also, to get to the Abbeydale Cinema from the Arbourthorne, quite a long way, the quickest way was to walk.

In all weathers, winter and summer, and required public urinals along the way :)

No wonder every house had a hobbinfoot, and we all learned how to cobble shoes. First with leather, tacks, and Segs, then with Woolworths rubber soles and heals with glue!

Edited by trastrick

X52 fast service to Handsworth. Went down the Parkway from Pond Street.

I remember the route no as 57 campo lane to stocksbridge I left

Oughtibriges in 1959 to live in Cheshire but travelled on that bus a lot

Into Sheffield John james

Used to get the 95 bus from High street with my Mum as a bairn in the 70's to visit my Grandparents at Walkley and the 5 on the 95 was never centered in the window, it was always half way up (or down), wonder if was simply always the same bus with a broken winding mechanism or some sort of superstition amongst the drivers. Strange thing to remember maybe but there you go.

A friend of mine is trying to compile a list of all the old bus routes in sheffield and the rest of south yorkshire and what routes replaced them. Any information would be appreciated.

no 3 went to mosborough and clown

Which around the mid-eighties turned into the X53 and was listed as being a Fastline route in the timetables. This eventually became the 53 which it still is today.

Wasn't the No.3 the outer circle with the No.2 going in the opposite direction?

Wasn't the No.3 the outer circle with the No.2 going in the opposite direction?

That was the other number 3 - Sheffield transport who operated the outer circle. The other number 3 from Sheffield to Mansfield via Clowne was East Midlands, now Stagecoach Mansfield.

That was the other number 3 - Sheffield transport who operated the outer circle. The other number 3 from Sheffield to Mansfield via Clowne was East Midlands, now Stagecoach Mansfield.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it must be something like that.