Wardsend Cemetery - again

I recollect seeing something on Wardsend Cemetery on a site called North West Sheffield News Online

Things are moving as regards the Cuncil taking responsibility but slowly and still fly tipping going on. Sorry I can't post original site I referred to but I'm a novice at this game.

Somebody having a real grumble about it and getting David Blunkett involved as its in his constituency

Somebody having a real grumble about it and getting David Blunkett involved as its in his constituency

only until thursday night............

though it is good that finally someone is doing something about it

Can anyone tell me exactly how to get there? Which road do you access it from, and whereabouts? Is there parking? Is it a long walk etc. I'm interested in taking a walk and having a look around.

Thanks,

Harriet

you can get there by going down the road that leads to owlerton dog track and hillsborough college. it ends up on a bridge with traffic lights and after the bridge theres some rough ground to park in. the cemetary is next to the waste ground

hello mumsy,

The most important sources of information are the Burial Registers held by Sheffield Archives. The entries record the section letter and grave number for each person buried there.

However, the stumbling block is that there are no detailed plans survivng from the time when the cemetery was in use.

With the permission of the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery I have been gradually reconstructing the plans and photographing gravestones. It is a slow business. However, I am fairly confident that I can locate most graves given a reference from the burial register.

One shortcut is offered by the monumental inscriptions that were recorded some time ago. These were published without grave references or a plan, but I have a list linking the published inscriptions to the references, plus a large number of inscriptions that were omitted from the original survey. If you would like to post or pm me some names and dates I can see if they are mentioned on a gravestone.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

sorry it has been a while since I replied to your offer of support.

We tried to find the access today to Wardsend and got as far as the new bridge (coopers car yard) but 2 diggers prevented us going further so we are going to try and access again tomorrow.

The family grave we are looking for is for Percy Billard, his first wife died around 1922/23/24, she had given birth to Percy, Ida and a third child (sorry forgot her name) and she died not long after giving birth to her 3rd child. Percy Billard remarried and it is believed his 2nd wife and himself are buried in the grave but I do not know there dates. If I manage to find out I will post on here.

We do know that Billard is/was a french name but very little else. The family heralded from Parson Cross Road area.

I do not know if the grave was originally 'family owned' i.e. Percys relatives.

Any help/advice you can provide would be useful,

Regards,

mumsy

Edited by mumsy

Why cant the authorities let the people doing community service work on it ?.

Good idea. That would keep them busy for a long time. Walkley cemetery desperately needs doing too