Claim to Millhouse's Park.

Does anyone have any information about the Court case in 1945 or 1949 re the Oldale Family claim to Millhouses Park.

This was first taken to court in the 1800's by Thomas and Hannah Oldale.

My grandmother and mother and family members attended the court case in the 1940's but I was too young to understand what it was all about.

I think that the case is still held in Chancery. The court case was reported in the newspapers at the time.

Len.F.

The claim was to land purchased in 1782/1793 by a Mr Peter Wigfall who died in 1828, subsequently inherited through a Hannah Oldale by Mr Joseph Oldale, who recovered possession in 1857 in the Court of Exchequer of Pleas at Westminster. Costs of £118. 12s. 6d., not paid by Mr Oldale. He was then arrested and spent 2 years in York Castle and made bankrupt. In 1873 Mr Oldale paid creditors 20s. in the £ and bankruptcy annulled. In 1875 William Oldale, a journeyman silver plater, son of the original claimant, went to Millhouses early in the morning accompanied by his agent and about 15 men and boys, to take forcible possession of several fields on the Grange Ville Estate, land near the Robin Hood, and also a house about to be converted into a Methodist Chapel. They changed locks and padlocks, but later in the day the police were called and the locks changed again. This could not have benefited Mr Oldale but the Magna Carta Association were to take up the case. There was a gathering of all the Sheffield "Oldale" family in 1945 when it was decided that expenses would be too great to reopen the case, apparently it is still held in Chancery.

hiya len,just been reading your thread.my mother was eunice goodwin, her mom was fanny peters who became fanny goodwin her mum was oldale i believe there where 3 oldale children, fanny, rose and a son (not sure of his name) all this info is from my older sister.my mums brother was also called len.we have had loads of discussions over the years about millhouses park.the story that i have is that the deeds for millhouses where in either 3 or 4 parts and that one of the oldale sisters employed someone to take her part of the deeds to the land registery (she may have been disabled) but the man in question was run down and killed. The portion of the deeds he was carrying was never recovered,i'll find more out if your'e interested

Caronlel - many thanks for the info.

Dadoronron - Thanks for your message. I am very interested in more information and would be very grateful if you can find out more for me. I have researched the Oldale Family Tree until 1714. Can you explain to me your connection to the Oldales please? I have heard of the Goodwin name but it is not clear to me what the connection is.

The claim was to land purchased in 1782/1793 by a Mr Peter Wigfall who died in 1828, subsequently inherited through a Hannah Oldale by Mr Joseph Oldale, who recovered possession in 1857 in the Court of Exchequer of Pleas at Westminster. Costs of £118. 12s. 6d., not paid by Mr Oldale. He was then arrested and spent 2 years in York Castle and made bankrupt. In 1873 Mr Oldale paid creditors 20s. in the £ and bankruptcy annulled. In 1875 William Oldale, a journeyman silver plater, son of the original claimant, went to Millhouses early in the morning accompanied by his agent and about 15 men and boys, to take forcible possession of several fields on the Grange Ville Estate, land near the Robin Hood, and also a house about to be converted into a Methodist Chapel. They changed locks and padlocks, but later in the day the police were called and the locks changed again. This could not have benefited Mr Oldale but the Magna Carta Association were to take up the case. There was a gathering of all the Sheffield "Oldale" family in 1945 when it was decided that expenses would be too great to reopen the case, apparently it is still held in Chancery.

I know this post is quite old, but i was born an oldale, and my grandad (still alive) not only remembers a lot of this, but his father and uncle were two of the family that went to the court. My grandad spent quite a long time researching this case, and has copies of all the newspaper articles relating to it. If you have any more information, i would appreciate it if you could let me know, but also, if you would like any further information that i have, please get back to me. My grandfather would happily give you any information that he has!!

Hi, I would like the information your grandfather has about the Oldale case + the newspaper article, If possible. Thanks Len.F.

Hi,I would love to know all about the family tree of the Oldales my nan was an Oldale before she was married she was called Elizabethand had a sister called Lilian and a brother Charles, I think she possible had at least two more brothers but not sure of their names. My mother has often spoken about the land at Millhouses and told me her mum went to the meeting of all the Oldales in Sheffield. One of the stories I have heard is that one of the Oldales was sent to York prison after the burning of haystacks possibly belonging to the powerful Fitzwilliam family who tried to claim their land. Whether this is true or not or just another story I don't know.

Could any of this be tied in with Shore's Bank? I haven't time to look up the dates, but the finances of a lot of Sheffield land owners were tied up in this bank.

This was likely Joseph Oldale who apparently was accused of entering a false marriage in a church register between Peter Wigfall and Sarah Housley for 28th Aug 1740, in an attempt to get hands on the estate of Peter Wigfall.

Reported, Thursday, March 25, 1858

I am currently writing a book on 18th and 19th century Sheffield riots and I am in the process of writing a chapter on the Oldale Riot of 1875 and picked up this thread during an internet search.  I note that CW_249's grandfather has some press cuttings surrounding this fascinating story; I've not quite got the gist of it all myself yet.  I would appreciate any updates to the thread that will help me put the story together.  This riot is an obscure event and I only became aware of it when Chris Hobbs sent me a cutting that he hadn't uploaded to his website yet.  On reading it I decided I just had to include it in the book and started digging further.  The more I found the more confusing the story became.  Help!