Spout House, Stannington

hello ye ole folks.

we are stannington allumni, and were wondering if anyone can tell us anythibg about the house behing spout copse in stannington! it is called spout hosue and is very old!

Just wondered if anyone could tell us anything interesting about it!

ta

I don't know much about it apart from the fact that it's a working farm. My brother Paul (who still lives in Stannington) used to work for a past owner - Denzel Thomas - back in the 70's. The Thomas family sold up and moved to East Yorkshire somewhere.

I'm sure the Stannington Local History Group would be able to help you.

R.John Bramall (Joe)

My wife's family owned the house in the 1700's and I know the licence for the chapel on the Low Road to Dungworth was signed there so they could have weddings and funerals etc.

Try contacting the Bradfield Archives which are open to the public every Thursday. I know they have information on Spout House.

I hope this helps you.

I can help with some information on the farm. I helped Denzil and Ivy Thomas at this farm for 10 years. At that time I lived in Stannington and my name was Kathleen Beal. The farm did not actually belong to the Thomas family it was owned by Ivy's Mother Rachael Saddington who lived at High Bradfield. There were other young people who heelped at the farm - Dennis Nichols and Richard Charlesworth. I used to do the milking and help generally with all the farm duties, ploughing, seeding, muck spreading etc. The fella's did other things, hay making and all the heavy liftting jobs. The farm was sold to a developer in 1965 and in December that year the Thomas's moved to a farm in Skerne, Near Driffield. In 2005 I spent three months with them at their farm which was arable. They did not have any animals.

Unfortunately Denzil died in March this year at the age of 80 but his wife Ivy and Son Patrick still live on the arm at Skerne.

Spout House farm could not be fully built on as some of the land was in the green belt and still remains undeveloped.

In the copse at the front of the house was a large built in pool, this was fed from a natural spring and many years ago used to be used for Baptism. The water was later diverted into trough in the farm yard for the cattle to drink and the pool became empty as it was very deep and dangerous for children.

There is a scary story attached to the farm whwich goes:-

A previous owner (I think his name was Grayson) cut his throat in the cowshed but as this was not successful he then hung himself in the dairy and they used to say that on the anniversary of his death you could hear the dairy door open and footsteps. All the years I was there I never heard it. The house was very old and from memory there was a stone in front of the house with the date on it. The walls very over 18inches thick and the windows had seats in them in front of the wooden shutters. It is quite a large house and very eerie in some parts as one of the bedrooms upstairs did not have any floor in. The door was always kept locked for that reason. Last time I was there it looked very dilapidated which is rather a shame as there is so much history attached to it. Hope you enjoy reading this little story.

Is spout house the one burried in the trees at the edge of the acorn estate ?

oldgreen

Yes Spout House is on the land at the left hand side, at the top of Spout Lane, entrance opposite the large horse trough.

I have been trying to get a decent photograph of the house for my wife's family history records but I've been told I mustn't trespass on the land as the occupier is a recluse.

If anyone has a decent picture I would love to have a copy, I'm willing to pay for it.

Happy days!

ahh that explains a lot. I've driven past and thought it was empty. Its so buried by trees and the estate you can't even see an access way. Was it the owner of spout who sold to the developers to build the acorn estate then ?

Google earth ?

Edited by oldgreen
my website address was there.

oldgreen

Yes Spout House is on the land at the left hand side, at the top of Spout Lane, entrance opposite the large horse trough.

I have been trying to get a decent photograph of the house for my wife's family history records but I've been told I mustn't trespass on the land as the occupier is a recluse.

If anyone has a decent picture I would love to have a copy, I'm willing to pay for it.

Happy days!

Iwas told two gay men lived there ?

Iwas told two gay men lived there ?

And this is relevant because..................?

they live there.....

But why is their sexuality relevant to this thread ?