What's anyone's thoughts of Parson Cross?

I've grown up in the S5 area and it's still a relatively nice place to live, despite the stories. There is still a good sense of community and a lot is being put back into it, after it got somewhat rundown..take the Four Greens for example. Every area has it's bad points..

However, saying that, I wouldn't recommend walking around the greens at night (and definitely not on yer lonesome!!)

I was born in wordsworth cres. in 1942, then in 1946 we moved to the New Parson Cross estate on wordsworth ave. I have seen many changes ,some good some not so good , since i married and went to live at Aston, Sheffield. Iremember past times with great affection. I still visit the area as my sister still lives there. does anyone remember the chip van that used to park across from where the petrol station now stands near Deerlands avenue around the 1950s?

Grew up on the cross (17 Fulmere Road) and loved the place,still smile when i go past it,used to play football wi mi mates on what we called the "island" just down road from Fulmere and remember having a laff with mi mates outside Beagle pub while mi mum and dad were inside havin fun inside.

Miss it BIG time

the problems on the cross started in the late 80s early 90s when the council rehoused various pond life from bad areas one bad family moves in 3 good familys move out so in the emd you have 1 street whats fairly safe and others what are not

and halibut why you even on this thread or you just arguing the toss for the sake of it:gag:

I lived on the parson cross estate <monteney road>from 1963-1980,it was a good place to live everyone was friendly and great comunity spirit .Lots of the people didnt have much but it never stopped us kids having fun ,i used to play in the fields on yew lane theres some caves in there what fun we had.We also used to play on the school fields on monteney road as this was the road i lived on realy happy memorries sliding down the grass banks on cardboard.

I first moved to the cross 26 years ago... yes it was better then but... dont ya think most places have gone down hill etc, you get the scum bags Types every where... i'm from hillsborough but i would'nt like to live back there.... too much traffic.

life has changed not just parson cross.

Im happy where i am... large garden, close to fields, close to 2 parks.... life is what you make it. Two things i think the council should do is.. get tuff on tenants... strick rules etc, and stop sellin the council home to the cheap gits who want to make a few bucks... I think if you buy a council home and want to sell... you should sell it back to the council under the same terms that you bought it.... knock down price. There are too few council homes for those that need them.

[quote=madowl;2866

Im happy where i am... large garden, close to fields, close to 2 parks.... life is what you make it. Two things i think the council should do is.. get tuff on tenants... strick rules etc, and stop sellin the council home to the cheap gits who want to make a few bucks... I think if you buy a council home and want to sell... you should sell it back to the council under the same terms that you bought it.... knock down price. There are too few council homes for those that need them.

Absolutley!!!!! couldnt agree more,.

I lived on the parson cross estate <monteney road>from 1963-1980,it was a good place to live everyone was friendly and great comunity spirit .Lots of the people didnt have much but it never stopped us kids having fun ,i used to play in the fields on yew lane theres some caves in there what fun we had.We also used to play on the school fields on monteney road as this was the road i lived on realy happy memorries sliding down the grass banks on cardboard.

Oh yes, cardboard sledging, I'd forgotten about that! We used to make very unsafe trolleys and whizz down Knutton Road from the top to the bottom, hardly any cars to knock us off. We had a phone installed in about 1964 and was about the first on the road so we were always being rung up and asked to bring neighbours in to get news from distant relatives or asked to ring the doctors/police/fire brigade etc... I thought we were really important! Does anyone remember the Lomas's or Dalton's or Pellegrino's from Fulmere Road? They were all neighbours, wonder what happened to them all?

I was from Greno but went to Mansel so a lot of my mates lived on the Cross. I used to cycle down to play most nights after school to Wordsworth Ave, via Chaucer Road, then along Knutton Cres. then across Fulmere Road, along Fulmere Cres then down a gennel coming out on Wordsworth near Alan Ponds petrol station. In holidays we'd travel the whole way from Wordworth, bottom of my mate's garden infact, to Hartley Brook with Deerlands at one side and Colley Road at the other. Barnsley Road was always a bugger though, you had to climb a steep hill (with bike) to get to the road and slide down the other side once you'd crossed the road. What an adventure that was.

Oh yes, cardboard sledging, I'd forgotten about that! We used to make very unsafe trolleys and whizz down Knutton Road from the top to the bottom, hardly any cars to knock us off. We had a phone installed in about 1964 and was about the first on the road so we were always being rung up and asked to bring neighbours in to get news from distant relatives or asked to ring the doctors/police/fire brigade etc... I thought we were really important! Does anyone remember the Lomas's or Dalton's or Pellegrino's from Fulmere Road? They were all neighbours, wonder what happened to them all?

Steven Dalton?

the problems on the cross now are the same as on many large estates or anywhere else for that matter. No discipline in schools or home. Parents instill in their children to know their rights but do not tell them right from wrong. At school the PC brigade insisted on removing the cane and any other form of chastisement, they are now reaping the whirlwind as pupils can assault teachers and then blame everybody but themselves and we are saddled with children who get their own way by violence and intimidation. Where will it end?:huh:

I lived on the cross, Tunwell Avenue from 1947 - about 1955 and remember it with fondness , wonderful community spirit back then in the harsh post war years . We went back on a recent visit to Sheffield , it took some recognising !