What's anyone's thoughts of Parson Cross?

whats eveyones thoughts of parsoncross im 17 and lived here all my life but just wonder what the cross used to b like and how its changed. x

I live there too, and I've always wondered - was there ever a cross parson around? No, seriously. :huh:

Parson Cross used to be a fine, safe area to live in. My formative years there were happy and I have fond memories of the neighbours and friends made there before moving away. Don't know when or how the changes occurred, but seeing the area now looks is quite depressing.

whats eveyones thoughts of parsoncross im 17 and lived here all my life but just wonder what the cross used to b like and how its changed. x

Samantha

If you use search here on the Sheffield Forum and look for Did you ever live in Parson Cross, this has been going since 2003 and the last entry was a couple of days ago. There are loads of different stories from Parson Cross from people who have lived here all their lives, I'm sure you will find it interesting.

The Cross was a beautiful place to grow up in the sixties. Not trouble free by any means, but a neighbourhood in the true sense of the word.

Throughout this forum there are lots of lovely stories - Read 'em and Weep!!

From my experience The Cross was fine until the mid 90s when the place was populated by ex-residents of areas such as the Kelvin Flats by Sheffield City Council.

I believe it was at this time that this traditional working class area went down the plug hole.

Homes were still being modernised on Falstaff Road/Buchanan in the early 90s. Yet only a few years later they were demolished. Why?

What a waste of taxpayers money.

People who spent nearly all their adult lives on the estate before dying in the 1990s would look at what has happened in disgust.

I blame our 'wonderful' Sheffield City Council totally.

The Cross was fine until the mid 90s when the place was populated by scum by the politically correct Sheffield City Council.

The Cross has now been destroyed thanks to this PC pandering.

Which type of scum do you mean?

Scum was incorrect. Let me rephrase it. Trash.

Yes, but who do you mean?

I mean people with no respect for themselves or their neighbours.

People who robbed cars, burned them out.

Broke in peoples houses.

Stole from the poor.

I lived on Parson Cross in the 40's & early 50's. Our house was in Masters Rd. It was a brilliant area to live in, good friends, easy to reach playing fields (Longly Park) & swimming in the summer. Just down the road Capitol cinema, just a stroll to the Lane Top for a tram into town. There was a good youth club nearby & icing on the cake a great chippie . Everything a young chap needed , including some lovely girls & they knew how to say NO in those days.

I lived on Parson Cross in the 40's & early 50's. Our house was in Masters Rd. It was a brilliant area to live in, good friends, easy to reach playing fields (Longly Park) & swimming in the summer. Just down the road Capitol cinema, just a stroll to the Lane Top for a tram into town. There was a good youth club nearby & icing on the cake a great chippie . Everything a young chap needed , including some lovely girls & they knew how to say NO in those days.
when i letf vschool in 1944

istarded as a milk boy on the coop deliverd milk round there the yanks still lodge on masters road at that timeit was quiet a nice place as i remember