What ever happened to the old cricket test ground?

First time I have noticed this thread, I used to go down to the Lane to watch Yorkshire as a kid, I remember the Bairstow innings v Derbyshire mentioned in a previous post, and the last match v Lancs, I remember the Monday being a washout.

On the Tuesday (the last day) of the match, a camera crew from one of the local tv news teams had spotted us (me, my brother and a friend) giving it the slow hand clap and the occasional chants of Yorkshire, they came over and asked us to be filmed chanting for the news item that evening, none of us got back home in time to watch it, but we were all pictured on the back page of the Mirror newspaper the next day holding clumps of turf we cut from the outfield (pen knives were ok back then) !

The cricket ground to which you refer is Bramhall lane where sheffield united play. And to be more precise, it is noe the car park behind the south stand. Hope this helps!!

Actually it is Bramall Lane. The cricket pitch itself would have encompassed the south stand and also part a good part of the football pitch with the actual wickets being not far from where the dug outs are now. I also remember the last game against Yorkshire watching from the Kop I also managed to get the stumps out of the nets at the back of the Kop after the game.

And a floodlit cricket match. Way ahead of its time.

I can remember listening to the noise from the Bruce Springsteen concert from my mothers way up on the Gleadless Valley

You can also add the Harlem Globetrotters and I seem to recall some sort of tennis tournament or exhibition being held there.

......and baseball in 1889, All America v Chicago.

Marbles anyone?

Rember seeing Bradman, Miller,Hutton etc, when Yorkshire played Australia, not sure 48 or 49.

I think it was July or August 1948 Yorkshire played the mighty "Invinsibles". On the Saturday about ten minutes after the start, Aspinall sent one down to Barnes I think, out for a duck. It must have been the loudest cheer ever heard at Bramall Lane. I also attended on the Monday and Tuesday(I had a fractured elbow and Dad had broken his foot so we were both free to attend) This should have been the greatest game of the Aussie tour, but Bradman chickened out and played for a draw. It would have been the only game in the tour that the Aussies were booed off the pitch. I now live in Adelaide and whenever they start bragging about their Invinsibles, I throw in my twopennith about the Bramall Lane game. Other threads also commented on Boycott refusing to sign autograghs. I came across him in Adelaide along with Chris Olds, and both were happy to autogragh a book I had just purchased for my wife's birthday. Being Australian she was not impressed.

I think you'll find the ground was already there, TURNIP, plus the fact & I know someone will have a go at correcting me. It's one of ONLY 2 grounds in the world (The Oval being the other) or at least GB that has hosted league football, international football, county cricket, cricket test match & an FA cup final & semi finals & replays. it has also hosted Billy Graham evangelical meetings, rugby league & a pop concert, plus in years gone by besides United; Sheffield FC & SWFC have also played home games there before it became United's home in 1889.

Don't forget the filming of "the manageress staring Sherie Lunghi the documentary UNITED and the filming of Sean Beans film "When Saturday comes around" it has certainly been a very versatile venue it also held a royal visit in the 50s I believe I cant remember who came but I know my father RIP put the royal standard up then removed it afterwards any feed back on that visit would be most helpful.

they built a sty on it

look at your history that was the one near to middlewood!!!

Thanks guys, im glad i it gave you a few good memories too.

The best ground going back in time was where England played in Darnall, now a cemetery

A slight correction Chairboy. The indoor nets were not in the pavilion but in a separate shed at the corner of Bramall Lane and Cherry Street. The shed had no heating and I once went to a county trial, as I also played for Sheffield United C.C. which was held in January on an evening where the temperature inside the shed must have been minus 4 (or worse). My hands were blue and I couldn't feel the ball as I bowled. The trial was a disaster for every bowler there but there was no sympathy from the Yorkshire coaches who were a hard bunch in those days.

remember sitting on the steps with a cushion bought for a shilling , and England beating the Ausies by an innings

I went to Bramall Lane in the school holidays when ever I could to watch Yorkshire play. I've seen the Aussies, South Africa and many of the english county sides in the days of Fred Trueman,Phil Sharpe and Jimmy Binks. Would'nt be seen dead there for anything else.

Don't forget Dicky Bird!

remember sitting on the steps with a cushion bought for a shilling , and England beating the Ausies by an innings

Don't you mean Yorkshire? I think Fiery Fred was captain for that match.

yes, sorry about that it wasn't england it was yorkshire that beat the ausies thanks for putting me right mate I did see that match but I'm getting old and forgetful