What ever happened to the old cricket test ground?

I went too. It was a draw.

The middle day was washed out and Boycott refused to give me his autograph.

My gran's next door neighbour was a Yorkshire CC member and took me to the last two games at the Lane. The first was against Derbyshire which we won I think? As Sibon says, the final game against Lancs was a draw and I seem to remember the rain more than the match. The match was televised on BBC and it seemed my gran's neighbour had some privileges as a member because I met most of the BBC 'cricket personalities' of the time and got all the Yorkshire players autographs.....

except Mr Boycotts as he refused when I asked :(

I remember the Derbyshire game.

Brian Bolus the Derbyshire captain,who had a grudge against Yorkshire for sacking him,had scored a century in their second innings before declaring and setting Yorkshire a very difficult target.It looked impossible until David Bairstow came in and started hitting sixes,including one over the practice nets into Shoreham Street,and bullying his partners into taking impossible singles.Yorkshire won in the last over.

Nice to see David's son Jonathan doing so well.

they built a sty on it

I think you'll find the ground was already there, TURNIP, plus the fact & I know someone will have a go at correcting me. It's one of ONLY 2 grounds in the world (The Oval being the other) or at least GB that has hosted league football, international football, county cricket, cricket test match & an FA cup final & semi finals & replays. it has also hosted Billy Graham evangelical meetings, rugby league & a pop concert, plus in years gone by besides United; Sheffield FC & SWFC have also played home games there before it became United's home in 1889.

Edited by Bypassblade

....and also a few boxing matches - i went to a Bomber Graham fight which he won !

....and also a few boxing matches - i went to a Bomber Graham fight which he won !

Yes I'd forgotten that thanks :)

When the "Lane" was being redeveloped in to a football only stadium, I seem to recall a mystery about a very old, very large, solid one piece table in the committee room of the old pavilion going missing one night during the demolition of said pavilion. It was thought the table was put in place and then the walls were constructed during the original building of the pavilion.

The mystery being that it was too large and heavy to be moved without proper lifting gear and there was no way of taking it out without knocking an opening through a wall or taking the roof out. No opening was knocked out of any wall and the roof was still there when the contractors appeared the following morning - when I left Sheffield in the early eighties the mystery was still unsolved.

During one of the last cricket matches against Lancashire, myself and a couple of young friends were sat in front of the commentary box in the Pavilion. At the time, the match was very slow (perhaps G Boycott was batting). We started slow hand clapping, without noticing that F Truman was 'On air' in the box behind us. The first thing we knew was that Freddie was banging on the glass window and telling us to 'go forth and multiply' Obviously, being only about ten years old we were very upset by such industrial language and were going to complain about this infringement of our human rights, but instead decided it would be better if we hid in another part of the ground.

I also remember the pavilion being turned into the BLADES social club the Beer Keller down stairs also the sauna the lounge bar as you went in and the Tudor rooms upstairs which also held functions dances,weddings etc also remember going to meet the players and manager forums in the tudor rooms I had one of my most enjoyable nights of my life in the Beer Keller last game of season 70/71 against Watford Blades won gaining promotion to the old 1st Div everyone was completely pie eyed we went out of the fire exit in a conga and danced all around the ground up and down the Kop ( before seating )then the John st stand (old one) and so on I finished up in the old Goodwin fountain outside the Town Hall and TINY the VERY LARGE copper who was on duty in the tardis at the side of the Town Hall on Surrey st asked me to get out and my reply was "leave me i'll swim home" needless to say he was NOT amused I also attended many test matches and county games of cricket at the Lane on another point does anyone remember the Anchor brewery at the corner of Bramall ln and Cherry st I have numerous old photos of the Lane but I don't know how to post them onto the Forum threads if anyone can help me please reply HAPPY DAYS.

Rember seeing Bradman, Miller,Hutton etc, when Yorkshire played Australia, not sure 48 or 49.

Can you be a little more precise?

Do you mean Bramall Lane?

The cricket ground to which you refer is Bramhall lane where sheffield united play. And to be more precise, it is noe the car park behind the south stand. Hope this helps!!

You can also add the Harlem Globetrotters and I seem to recall some sort of tennis tournament or exhibition being held there.

Guest sibon
You can also add the Harlem Globetrotters and I seem to recall some sort of tennis tournament or exhibition being held there.

And a floodlit cricket match. Way ahead of its time.