What ever happened to the old cricket test ground?

Fair call Farmer - I did question myself, whereabouts they were and wondered if they were downstairs under the dressing rooms but your explanation is correct. Whilst on, just to throw up the names of the two "Boys" coaches who took charge, in case anyone knows/knew them and the committed work they did. Frank or Jack Schofield and Ron Rayner, I think? Not sure because I recall we called them Mr!

George Pope, Eric Burgin and Jack Bethell did the United nets.

Still a sore point with me, but one of many memories both from watching Yorkshire and playing for Sheffield Boys/Sheffield United CC with both excellent nets behind the Kop and the indoor ones in the pavilion.

For £1:5s - I had three nights coaching (nets) per week and twelve days first-class cricket. I received 2/6d at the end of each day's play collecting the red and green seat cushions up. The Kop was then stone steps and spectators sat on these cushions to watch the cricket.

Sheffield then was a thriving steel city with 24 hour (3x8hr) shifts and those working from 2pm until 10pm would go to the Lane for the morning session.

In 1960, temporary seating was erected on the cricket pitch for the FA Cup 6th round tie that Wednesday, with two Wilkinson goals, won 2-0. In those days, the players' entrance and tunnel to the pitch was on John Street, if that helps the younger readers picture the ground. At half-times, fans walked round from the Bramall Lane end to the Kop depending on which goal the Blades were attacking and did so through the cricket pavilion which had a characteristic scoreboard in front of it for football.

There used to be a boundary rope on the football field (goal to goal) roughly and the concrete around the ground was the boundary. The cricket grass was like a snooker table but there was a bit more grass on the football field. It was very well supported from all Yorkshire and top teams played there.

Yes,great memories of the lane when I was a young lad. A bloke walking round the parimeter of the pitch selling "chocolates & cigarettes",the band playing at the John St stand,before the match and at half-time,another bloke walking round holding a board displaying any team changes,and programmes 2d each. Also the knee bandages players with knee trouble would wear,and chewing gum being sold outside the ground(ok,pk,don't forget your Wrigley)

Still a sore point with me, but one of many memories both from watching Yorkshire and playing for Sheffield Boys/Sheffield United CC with both excellent nets behind the Kop and the indoor ones in the pavilion.

For £1:5s - I had three nights coaching (nets) per week and twelve days first-class cricket. I received 2/6d at the end of each day's play collecting the red and green seat cushions up. The Kop was then stone steps and spectators sat on these cushions to watch the cricket.

Sheffield then was a thriving steel city with 24 hour (3x8hr) shifts and those working from 2pm until 10pm would go to the Lane for the morning session.

In 1960, temporary seating was erected on the cricket pitch for the FA Cup 6th round tie that Wednesday, with two Wilkinson goals, won 2-0. In those days, the players' entrance and tunnel to the pitch was on John Street, if that helps the younger readers picture the ground. At half-times, fans walked round from the Bramall Lane end to the Kop depending on which goal the Blades were attacking and did so through the cricket pavilion which had a characteristic scoreboard in front of it for football.

There used to be a boundary rope on the football field (goal to goal) roughly and the concrete around the ground was the boundary. The cricket grass was like a snooker table but there was a bit more grass on the football field. It was very well supported from all Yorkshire and top teams played there.

Yes,great memories of the lane when I was a young lad. A bloke walking round the parimeter of the pitch selling "chocolates & cigarettes",the band playing at the John St stand,before the match and at half-time,another bloke walking round holding a board displaying any team changes,and programmes 2d each. Also the knee bandages players with knee trouble would wear,and chewing gum being sold outside the ground(ok,pk,don't forget your Wrigley).Then in the Summer we'd have the 1st class cricket. oh yes,great memories.

Chairboy, we must be of the same generation but didn't Ron Raynor coach Sheffield Boys and also ran a week's coaching course for kids, at Abbeydale Park, just when the school summer holidays started. I can't remember him at the Lane I can only remember Harold Fenton and, occasionally, Eddie Edwards helping with the junior coaching there.

Which players did you appear with down there?

Chairboy, we must be of the same generation but didn't Ron Raynor coach Sheffield Boys and also ran a week's coaching course for kids, at Abbeydale Park, just when the school summer holidays started. I can't remember him at the Lane I can only remember Harold Fenton and, occasionally, Eddie Edwards helping with the junior coaching there.

Which players did you appear with down there?

I have Ron Raynor and Schofield down as Sheffield Boys' coaches.

As for Sheffield Utd. I remember Fenton and Edwards; Bob and John Crossley, Bill Croft, Tony Ollerenshaw, Bob Cummin(g)s, Roy Pilgrim, Bob Wall, Steve Stuchbury, Bob Stocks, Mick Cunningham, Mike Baldridge, Graham Seaton, John Gregory, Martin Barlow, Bruce Oates? Ian Nunnington whom you may have heard died a fortnight ago. Another wicketkeeper under Tony (Phil Scorah) - 'Mac' McClean. Bill Roberts - but I later played for Collegiate as did some of the above but I can't give specific dates. I remember Frank Melling but didn't play in his first team. When cricket ceased at the Lane, I was a student in Newcastle but I later returned to play some games at Dore before moving down the hill!

Sorry to drag this old post up, but,, have anyone of you a link for any old photo`s of the old ground befor it was knocked down

I went to Bramall Lane in the school holidays when ever I could to watch Yorkshire play. I've seen the Aussies, South Africa and many of the english county sides in the days of Fred Trueman,Phil Sharpe and Jimmy Binks. Would'nt be seen dead there for anything else.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s22611

I remember it as a youngster proir to it being demolished,it's a pity the club did'nt renovate it and turn it into a club shop or museum.It was a lovely old pavilion and should have been kept for posterity,some great cricketers played there.

Edited by websters gue

Sorry to drag this old post up, but,, have anyone of you a link for any old photo`s of the old ground befor it was knocked down

....although the final cricket match was played in '73..

...the old pavillion was eventually demolished in 1979 to reveal the "new" south stand which was built directly in front of it. The pavillion site was then levelled to expand the car park. :thumbsup:

Last match there, Yorkshire v Lancashire 4,6,7, August 1973. Lord Hawke has put a curse on the football for the removal of first-class cricket which may explain the Blades' lack of silverware.

I went to that game, can't remember who won, Geoff Boycott was out for 11 and the first time I had Spam and tomatoe sandwiches with piccallili!

Guest sibon
I went to that game, can't remember who won, Geoff Boycott was out for 11 and the first time I had Spam and tomatoe sandwiches with piccallili!

I went too. It was a draw.

The middle day was washed out and Boycott refused to give me his autograph.