Joe Calzaghe fight - discussion

I scored the fight in favour of Calzaghe by one round, AJ u say the classier punches came from Hopkins, thats probably true, but he never sustained any pressure and never looked for a fight, he was quite happy to hold, stick his head in Calzaghe's face looking for a cut, go down after a rediculous low blow and generally try and nullify anything Clazaghe tried to do, Cortez was a joke, the complete opposite of the Hatton fight, to me he is a cheat.

The true boxer won and the chump lost!

We went to our next door neighbours to watch it as they have Freeview but also subscribe to Setanta on there. We waited up all night, watched the build up and then at 3am it said to change the channel. We did and it was blank, we returned to the original channel and that was now blank.

We rang Setanta who said thousands were having the same problem and there was nothing they could do. We ended up listening on 5 live and from listening to that I was expecting Hopkins to win but was happy Calzaghe won.

I watched it and i was convinced that he had lost?

joe never got into his rythem and i can only could a few times in the entire fight that he connected with half decent punches that hopkins felt.

Still- a win is a win even though it won't do much for his reputation in the states.

looking forward to a joe vs jones fight in november (plus we won't need to stay up till daft-o'clock to watch it)

This fight(if it happens) is only being discussed because of the money involved- Jones is 40 now and way past his best. Even if Calzaghe beats him, people will say he beat two old timers (Hopkins being the other). At 36, Calzaghe is no spring chicken and I can see why he would not want to fight Pevlik. Personally, I would like to see him go up against Tarver- he is fresher then Jones and holds a belt. Though I think Joe v Jones is almost certain as money talks and IMO Joe deserves a BIG payday to end on a high (I hope)..

I would be happy to see Calzaghe fight Tarver too, but remember Tarver is 39 as well and also Hopkins took Tarver to school. So Joe would still face criticism for fighting Tarver.

I think Calzaghe was well ahead on points after the scare of the first round. But Hopkins still put in a superb performance so no need for him to retire.

Before Jones suddenly shot to prominence on Saturday, Joe was saying he was most likely to fight Kelly Pavlik next. Which would be very exciting. Assuming Joe's gym mate Gary Lockett doesn't shock Pavlik though! But now Bob Arum is talking about Pavlik fighting Marco Antonio Rubio after Lockett

I would be happy to see Calzaghe fight Tarver too, but remember Tarver is 39 as well and also Hopkins took Tarver to school. So Joe would still face criticism for fighting Tarver.

I think Calzaghe was well ahead on points after the scare of the first round. But Hopkins still put in a superb performance so no need for him to retire.

Before Jones suddenly shot to prominence on Saturday, Joe was saying he was most likely to fight Kelly Pavlik next. Which would be very exciting. Assuming Joe's gym mate Gary Lockett doesn't shock Pavlik though! But now Bob Arum is talking about Pavlik fighting Marco Antonio Rubio after Lockett

I think Pavlik would beat Joe. he (Pavlik) is strong and durable as well as young. Joe knows he is coming to the end of a long road and common sense will tell him to take a mega bucks fight with someone he has a chance of beating- ie. Jones or Tarver (maybe). I know Hopkins beat Tarver but tarver admits he was not in good condition and was not focused- he had little time to prepare. I saw him against Woods, he was not great but had some rhythm back. Hopkins should retire IMO, he has nothing to prove.

I just watched the full fight for the first time on BBC 2 at midday today (Sun 27 April).

A friend of mine who watched it on live tv last week told me he though Hopkins had won it.

When watched today I kept my own score card as each round passed as I normally do on big fights.

For me Hopkins won the first 3 rounds, they both shared the next 4 rounds,

Calaghe won the next 2 rounds, they shared the next round, Hopkins wins the 11th round and the final round is shared.

112 - 109

In favour of Hopkins.

I can see why the Hopkins camp genuinely thought that they had won after the fight.

Yes, Calazaghe was the aggressor, whilst Hopkins was the counter puncher but Calzaghe only really dominated in 2 rounds, Hopkins was equal too if not better than most of Joe's attacks coming in with some great solid counter punches of his own.

Boxing is subjective, but it is also sometimes easy to misread fights and I think the judge particuarly the one who gave Joe winning by 5 rounds has definitely misread some of the rounds.

A case in point, during one of the later rounds the BBC commentators said that Joe had done well ,and clearly won the round, indeed it looked as if Joe had done well and finished with a flurry of punches, but ends up taking a well time heavy punch from Hopkins.

They showed the slow motion replay of Joe's flurry at the end of that round,

what it showed was Joe's "flurry" actually turned out to be about 5 or 6 glancing blows, none of Joe's punches hit Hopkin's jaw cleanly, in contrast you clearly see the hard punch that Hopkins connects with and Joe grimaces as he takes that punch.

For me that one Hopkins punch is worth more than those 5 or 6 glancing blows that Joe threw.

Whilst I wouldn't say Hopkins ran away with the fight, I equally don't think Calzaghe did enough to beat Hopkins.

Another bad decision by the judges.

I don't think Hopkins was a sore loser, he had a genuine case to argue.

Chuck Giampa who gave Calzaghe the 116-111 score must have been watching another fight.

Totally agree with that comment,

I had it 112 - 109 in favour of Hopkins.

Bearing in mind that Hopkins definitely wins the first round by a 10-8 due to the knock down, that means that Chuck Giampa had Joe winning 7 rounds outright, which is ludicrous because a lot of the rounds were too close to favour either of the fighters outright.

I only had Calzaghe winning 2 rounds outright, if I was being really generous you could argue that Joe may have shaded 2 more rounds, but even that still gives Hopkins victory by one round.

Boxing has always had its dodgy decisions but you can't but think that Chuck Giampa was way off base (or was being corrupt) on this one.

Hopkins was robbed.:suspect:

Did you all not see Hopkins holding on all the time?????????? Hes an old man who was knackered!!! He faked getting hit in the groin area to have a breather & kept using his head, Joe definitley picked up his pace and the best fighter won on the night!!!

Did you all not see Hopkins holding on all the time?????????? Hes an old man who was knackered!!! He faked getting hit in the groin area to have a breather & kept using his head, Joe definitley picked up his pace and the best fighter won on the night!!!

He wasn't holding THAT much, he did take a low blow but unless you actually are the victim of any low blow it's very difficult to say how much the recipient gets affected, who knows Hopkins may have been sore already in that area and Joe's low blow may have hit the sore spot.

I think it's a bit rich when commentators claim that they know that Hopkins wasn't really hurt by that low blow, unless you were Hopkins on that night then you can't really tell, at best it's speculation whether Hopkins was faking it or not.

There's no doubt in my mind that Hopkins and in the minds of many boxing pundits, was better than Joe last week.

Don't get me wrong Joe did well, and did have some sucess but certainly not enough to truely beat Hopkins.

And let's not mention when Joe didn't get penalised for hitting Hopkins on the back of the head!

Hopkins may be 43 but he's more than a match for most people half his age,

I'm sure you wouldn't like to meet Hopkins, on your own in a dark alley somewhere!:hihi:

As if thats going to happen when he lives in US. I wouldn't like to meet Calzaghe down a dark alley either!!! Hopkins lost so get over it!! THIS IS OLD NEWS NOW, YOU SHOULD PAY THE SMALL FEE SETANTA CHARGE TO BE UP TO DATE ON DISCUSSIONS!!!

As if thats going to happen when he lives in US. I wouldn't like to meet Calzaghe down a dark alley either!!! Hopkins lost so get over it!! THIS IS OLD NEWS NOW, YOU SHOULD PAY THE SMALL FEE SETANTA CHARGE TO BE UP TO DATE ON DISCUSSIONS!!!

Excuse me for expressing my views on a fight that was screened TODAY on the BBC!:suspect:

Besides, I'd pay a fee just to avoid that idiot commentator Steve Bunce!

Excuse me for expressing my views on a fight that was screened TODAY on the BBC!:suspect:

Besides, I'd pay a fee just to avoid that idiot commentator Steve Bunce!

Its ok your excused :D And I agree with you about Steve Bunce