Cable TV problems

Got home from work tonight and realised I'd inadvertently switched off the plug to the TV/Video/Cable Smartbox and it had been off all day. When I switched it on again the Video didn't light up. I'm with Telewest. I switched the TV to channel 6 and the Smartbox went to its reset channel (896 or something)as it normally does if there's been a problem. The video is still not on although it is making a quiet ticking sound. The TV picture is jumping and making static sounds although you can faintly see the program through the snow. I do not have an outside aerial as is blew down, but the cable channels have always worked perfectly until today. Any suggestions anyone? Could it be my video thats at fault, I've checked the plug and changed the fuse. I wonder if it uses the video as an aerial. Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but I'm not technically minded at all. :cry:

I agree. Ours play up occasionally too. Don't worry yourself too much, just give them a call and they'll send an engineer round, usually within a couple of hours - my goodness, that's almost as quick as the police :D

Sounds like it's your video. The scart cable from your cable box goes into the video so that you can record from cable. The signal is then fed to your TV from the video. Try plugging the cable box scart straight into your TV, if you get a picture then it's the video. I'd try this before calling Telewest

We've had the same problem now on and off for 2 weeks!! We went without TV for about 4 days because they couldn't come out and fix it. We don't have an outside ariel because we had it taken down when we got Cable Telewest. The bloke came out to fix it, said that they'd actually had a problem at their end with data, so it looked like we hadn't paid our bill!! Thing is, we have TV, phone and internet all paid by standing order so that's not possible!! Then, a few days after this, it went again, the bloke came out again yesterday, twiddled a few buttons, and it came on after downloading for ages. It's doing my head in!!!

Chloé

Thanks for all your help. I took Party Boys advice and hey presto I have TV again. I had to put the digibox up on the shelf beside the TV as the lead wasn't long enough and sellotape the connector into the back of the TV as it wouldn't stay put! Still at least I can watch the news now and it'll do as a temporary measure till I get the video fixed. Thanks again.:D

Archived