Sign in to follow this  

Passion flower has opened and now closed?

I was at a friends last week and noticed a huge passion flower plant growning up the side of her house, it was amazing! She said she had the plant orginally in her house and the seeds somehow flew through the window and now she has the plant growing up the house, amazing!

Anyway, I took some large cuttings from it with unopened buds, and 1 with an opened flower with lots of unopened buds..... i stuck mine in water and one of the buds opened to reveal a stunning flower, it lasted a day and has now closed. The other cutting with the opened flower I gave to someone else and he said his has closed now.

Why would this be? They both have been in the window with lots of light?

Any ideas on how can I get I get the beautiful flowers to open once again? :huh:

BTW the passion in my life does not reflect on the passion flower closing before any of you cheeky monkeys state it may have smething to do with that! :P

I've got a passion fruit plant in the back garden and I'm pretty sure the flowers stay open all the time but once they close thats it, they are either going to turn into fruit (not sure how the fruit floated out of your friends window) or they just die. If you remove the closed flower the plant will probably grow another bud, the one in my back garden frowers all year round provided it doesn't get too cold, it's flowering now and I've got a few fruit.

If you are trying to root a cutting, normally you would remove the flower so the energy can go into forming roots. I dont think they like being cut flowers very much.

I had one growing on a south facing wall in my old house and it was very easy to grow. In case you arent lucky with the cutting, Morrisons sell them every year for about £1 but I think its usually in the spring.

Passionflower flowers only last a couple of days at best, at least mine do anyway!

Mine flower for a few days and then close up, but there are so many flowers that it doesnt really matter as there are always some open. I have only got one fruit though! The fruit comes from the flowers which have closed. Most of the closed ones fall off the plant.

thanks for all yr replies! it's a pity it will probably die now then ;-( it is only a cutting and I know th fruits don;t grow easily so oh well it was nice when i lasted it suppose!

Could I plant the cutting? Will it grow shoots?

I'm going to buy everyone a passion flower next year then for outside their house! :hihi:

I've only ever had one fruit too, this is my passionflower's third year so I had hoped for more, oh well!

The fruit has turned a lovely orange colour now and I think it'll soon fall off too, but I do still have flowers opening... Rather annoying because I'm waiting for it to finish so I can trim it back!

I'm not sure if you'll be able to plant it - I know nothing about taking cuttings! I just accidentally rip a part of a plant off, re-plant it and hope it'll survive lol

But as already said, you can buy them in most places now from morrisons to marks and sparks so they're not difficult to get.

Ours has been where it is for a long long time. It has a very thick trunk at the bottom. We gave it a severe prune in Feb of this year and it has come back with a vengance. We need it to stop flowering so we can cut it back again.

I've only ever had one fruit too, this is my passionflower's third year so I had hoped for more, oh well!

I had no fruit at all for years, until my neighbour bought a plant too, I think the cross pollenation causes more fruit to develop, I get about 20/30 a year now, but they never get to an edible state, they get fairly big, turn orrange and drop off.

If your buying a plant I'd advise buying one that been outside (from B&Q or somewhere, they have nice ones at Newleaf), I got one from M&S for my mum, looked lovely in the shop, dropped dead the instant it was planted outside, I guess it couldn't take the shock of being outside.

Mine's still flowering and fruiting although, again, not to really edible state.

Currently have around 20 fruit on. The best way to get them to grow again, is get some fruit (better if its ripe), and plant the seeds and keep in a greenhouse for 3/4 months, till you've got a good sapling. Then plant outside and hope the weather stays nice!

Jim