Tramways Pub, London Road

Barlows own the property and its not for sale or let as they will be redeveloping the site.

Due to the econmic climate they have suspended their plans and put on hold.

As a friend of mine contacted them to turn it back into a pub.

They were selling knock off goods in the 80's, as for the comment about the no of wetherspoons there must be 8 or 9 now in Sheffield now so 10 is just round the corner!

Edited by vanzandt56

They were selling knock off goods in the 80's, as for the comment about the no of wetherspoons there must be 8 or 9 now in Sheffield now so 10 is just round the corner!

Absolutely, and the latest is the next one is going to be at Handsworth.

It looks in a sorry state these days, used to be one of many good pubs on London Road.

It's always been a dump, My biggest memory of the Tramway was then Birmingham City absolutely smashed it to bits in 85 I think, being a Wednesday fan I thought it was funny lol.

It's always been a dump.

I thought it was a decent pub back then but I must have lower standards or the mind is playing tricks.

My biggest memory of the Tramway was then Birmingham City absolutely smashed it to bits in 85 I think, being a Wednesday fan I thought it was funny lol.

You really disliked that pub didn't you?

It's always been a dump, My biggest memory of the Tramway was then Birmingham City absolutely smashed it to bits in 85 I think, being a Wednesday fan I thought it was funny lol.

After Brum visited the value of the pub went up:hihi:

As funny as the United pub "Legends", now that is a dive :)

Have to admit, how would you have been able to tell if the Tramways had been "smashed to bits"?

Iv been inside of the Tramway early this year its in a poor state now. It closed around 2005 the owner is Barlows they planned to knock it down but as of yet havent. The wall seating still there but riped the central bar is still there too, it has two rooms. Dont know what the upstairs is like wasnt allowed up. People have asked Barlows for a lease on the pub in fact a Sheffield couple wanted to reopen it as a real ale house but was turned down. Its a shame its a nice building but in fairness cost a fair amount to put right.

As funny as the United pub "Legends", now that is a dive :)

Have to admit, how would you have been able to tell if the Tramways had been "smashed to bits"?

Because I was on the No 17 bus when a massive table came through the window onto the path, making the traffic stop.:hihi:

Now you know :hihi:

I was in Manchester recently and noticed what appeared to be a number of well maintained, traditional (not faux traditional) boozers dotted all around the city centre, down side streets etc. Why does it seem that Sheffield appears to let its heritage, its 'feel' and uniqueness simply slip away, abandoned to whatever cheesy marketing trend was/is prevailing at the time (floozy and firkin, bar rio, great gatsby etc). West St for example had some lovely traditional city pubs with tap rooms, best rooms, games rooms etc, I can even remember when The Saddle had a coal fire burning in the grate on a packed Saturday night!

Edited by beefface

I used to go in the Tramways loads in the 70's and 80's cos it had a lovelly pint of Magnet and a good atmosphere. Dont remember the drugs or stolen goods on sale that was usually in the Link or Parkway Hotel.

Sorry Taximark but as a Wednesdayite myself I dont find your remarks funny as I used to talk to the landlord and he was an Owl too.

The old Tramways building is being demolished; they've pulled down the roof and most of the first storey, not got down to the ground floor yet.