Dore Gala - What's the attraction?

Hi,

I am a resident of Dore - and have been all my life. As part of the 'village life' that Dore has survived, ducks et al, it seems almost upsetting to see that the Festival week has attracted such an abundance of trouble.

Having just had the gala last week, it was a shame to see fighting occur more than once and I spoke to a number of people who stayed away for fear of being mugged. But this did pose one question for me, why the gala?

I knew of many people that had travelled from Sharrow to Dore for the gala, when the Sharrow Festival was on the same day. I didn't understand that.

Nor did I understand why so many youths who are looking to mug people/cause trouble are attracted to a traditionally village-orientated event.

Maybe some of those people who enjoy causing the problems could tell me their attraction, or if anyone else has noticed this too.

Had to say my piece, it was quite an annoyance on Saturday.

Rican

The main attraction is the music they put on at night, but this is organised by the pubs not the Gala commitee.

I was there, and yes there was a lot of youths but most of them were resident teenagers, there were some outsiders, but I guess this is the norm when there is free entertainment.

Many residents also have friends who visit on this weekend, because it is a good night.

The add problem of the 80 degree temp and the sun also brought many out.

But I agree with you it must be annoying for anyone who lives in the close vicinity of the pubs.

Mikey,

You live in the area I'm talking about - so you must know the intimidating situations that elderly villagers are put through by the large gatherings of 'street' youths. You almost certainly know about the stabbing at the rec a few years ago - everyone involved was from areas other than Dore.

I'm glad it attracts people from Sheffield - but they need to remember that it's a village event, and if they come, it's to enjoy the festivities, not just as an excuse to get drunk on street corners and be noisy.

Rican

I too live in dore and am very pleased people from all over sheffield were attracted. I went to the sharrow fair and the pitsmoor fair and was made welcome. And both events passed without any trouble.

I get the feeling sometimes that some Dore residents would like the "village" to become a community!