Name for a new lifestyle magazine

Part of what what makes one current magazine in particular so bad is that every issue is virtually identical: the same awful journalism; the same terrible design; the same adverts; dull film reviews (that the author even admits to not actually having seen); patronising 'advertorial'. The list goes on.... The magazine simply has absolutely no purpose whatsoever except to generate cash, it's a publication driven by advertisements, not content.

I've no idea what you should name your magazine, but please, whatever you end up doing I hope that it has something to say. There are far too many magazines already that would be better used as toilet paper.

What magazine are you talking about?

What magazine are you talking about?

grapevine by any chance ?

Names that would stand-out :

Oi Ugly

Buy Me You ****

**** *** !!!

Sh*tty City maybe?

Anyone want to get a magazine going?

Haven't you already had a crack at that, mate?

Anyone want to get a magazine going?

I'm sure if you have constructive things to say you could ask Suave to be a part of his.

Haven't you already had a crack at that, mate?

Always up for a second attempt, providing the right people are involved. I don't want to run a monthly publication though.

I wouldn't be interested in working with anyone who was just after a 'bit of a laugh' either. People tend to disappear rather quickly when they realise they actually have to put work in to get a magazine going.

How about naming it Gropevine and targeting it at people who like to drink wine and grab other people's genitals?

People tend to disappear rather quickly when they realise they actually have to put work in to get a magazine going.

Exactly. And yet you'll have a pop at us for putting that work in, month in, month out.

You're in danger of sounding a little hypocritical here, Alex.

And surely 'terrible design' in a mag would be style that got in the way of the content, wouldn't it? Just a thought...

Exactly. And yet you'll have a pop at us for putting that work in, month in, month out.

Exposed is far from the only monthly magazine running in Sheffield. Although it is true I'm no fan of what you do, my comment was not necessarily aimed at you.

What I will say in support of any monthly publication is well done for getting the advertising revenue in. It's not easy. My issue with a lot of magazines though is the balance between content and advertisements. Producing one is a great way of shouting out to people if you have something to say, a way of covering pages with personality. Besides the absolutely excellent Go Sheffield, FACT, Sandman and Blowback, I don't feel many even try to do that. Even Vice resembles a clothing catalogue these days.

When it comes to advertising in a mag, I often wonder just how much of it is digested by the reader anyway. I tend to skip through advertisements as quickly as possible, lingering only very occasionally if the ad in question is visually interesting. Even then I can't remember a single advertisement from Novembers' editions of The Wire, Creative Review, Idea or any of the free magazines I've picked up.

Yesterday morning a magazine came through the door, there was almost no distinction between the adverts and the editorial, and it didn't really seem to be aimed at anyone in particular. So back to the original point, I hope Suave's project is nothing like that. Whether it's going to be a monthly or irregular publication, good luck to you.

And surely 'terrible design' in a mag would be style that got in the way of the content, wouldn't it? Just a thought...

Possibly, though if the design was relevant to the article in question then no, I don't think it would. Blowback being an example of a magazine that pulls this off well.

We were perhaps too naive with Clunge, and some of it didn't work. We still cringe even now at some of the editorial and design, but I'm proud we at least tried to be a bit different and I would certainly be interested in getting something going again.

Suave, the name of your magazine seems almost irrelevant when the content you say you'll covering seems so uninspired, middle of the road and most off-putting of all...safe. How can you target both students and business owners? What do they have in common that would want them both read your magazine?

Please I beg you dont make another horrible magazine fueled by the dull 'lifestyle culture' we are subjected to from past and present free publications that pollute our coffee bars and day time pubs. Publish something with an opinion, something that dares to challenge us on some level, it doesn't have to be revolutionary.

Get an agenda, a mission statement or somesort of ethos then hire a couple of decent writers and a good designer/editor. Have a clear direction then I guarantee a suitable name will make it's self known.

I beg you again, dont add to the waste.

peace and love

my comment was not necessarily aimed at you.

But it was though, wasn't it? I mean, you didn't specify or anything but, hell, there were people in Rwanda who got your inference.

I dunno. I thought I could change the world with a mag once upon a time too so I guess I know where you're coming from.

We didn't try to change the world; we just didn't want to end up at Norwich Union when we turn 30. And get into gigs for free and ****.

Hang on, I just turned 30.

[looks around]

Phew. Not a tie in sight.

Anyway, we've sort of gone off topic.

New name for a lifestyle mag. I kinda like Johnson.

Possibly, though if the design was relevant to the article in question then no, I don't think it would. Blowback being an example of a magazine that pulls this off well.

I can't read half of Blowback due to intrusive design. I don't care how 'relevant' the artwork is, if I can't read an article it's a picture.