Military Jet Crash at Frechville in the 50's

Many thanks for that link. Excellent quality; I'd like to see it in infra red or false colour though. Microsoft is less contrasty than Google, giving more shadow detail. Imagery appears to be older though.

Regards, M

There were many air crashes on Kinder Scout, a lot of wreckage is still there.

Sorry to pick up on an old thread, but I spoke to my Mum, and she remembered the crash. It was late evening, and she thinks it may have been an election night (was there an election around 1954?). The jet went very low over our prefab on Stradbroke Road, and crashed seconds later. (The crash site by Silkstone Crescent is about three quarters of a mile away, 9 seconds at (say) 400 mph.) For years after, there were oil stains on the wall of our prefab.

Mum said the papers had recorded the pilot's name as Cowen or Cohen, or similar. Whether he had the chance to eject is open to question (early ejector seats were only effective under certain flight conditions, and some Night Fighter and training versions of the Meteor didn't even have ejector seats), but it was generally regarded that he had fought to avoid the houses.

A sad event, I hope more comes to light, to remember this young man.

SH

As a Fleet Air Arm member at that time I remember that none of the meteors we had in the navy had ejector seats. I t would have been very difficult to get out without hitting the tail.

Somebody was looking for this thread, thought I would bring it forward.

I wonder how many more plane crashes there have been in Sheffield and when??

There was this one which killed my great aunty Elsie

I don't usually post on these forums but this subject has stirred me as I used to live on Silkstone Road which is near where this happened. I used to play on there for years as a kid and I had no idea that this was where some young fella crashed a Jet plane. I wonder how many more plane crashes there have been in Sheffield and when??

Apologies for reviving this but I'm helping someone who is researching plane crashes around the sheffield area and he would be grateful if anyone can add to or give information about the following-

Bristol F2b crash at Treeton 1920's

Hawker Audax (or Hart etc) at Dyche Lane late 1938/9

Handley Page Hampden x2 Concorde Park. One crashed, one landed & later recovered.

Gloster Meteor at Frecheville as mentioned earlier in the thread

Gloster Meteor at Treeton

Republic Thunderchief at Lodge Moor Hospital

and not in Sheffield

McDonnell F4 Phantom at Unthank, Chesterfield

Short Stirling at North Anston

Many thanks

Anything you need to know about aircrashes in the Sheffield area can be found in the three books by Pat Cunningham. 1) Peakland Air Crashes the North, 2) the South, and 3) the Central area. The ones you are looking for are in the Central Area edition. Published by Landmark Publishing and available in WH Smith.

Thanks. I'll pass that on, but I think he's probably aware. He's just casting his research net a bit wider in an attempt to get hold of as much information as possible. I know he's been trawling through local newspapers, libraries and official reports but he's now after more personal accounts

As a matter of interest I've been up several times in Meteor T7s and T22s and neither had ejector seats - this was in 1958.

If you had to get out the routine was release canopy, unbuckle safety harness, stand on seat facing aft and attempt to dive between mainplane and tailplane.

Thankfully I never had the need to do this but the drill is firmly impressed in my mind.

As a matter of interest I've been up several times in Meteor T7s and T22s and neither had ejector seats - this was in 1958.

If you had to get out the routine was release canopy, unbuckle safety harness, stand on seat facing aft and attempt to dive between mainplane and tailplane.

Thankfully I never had the need to do this but the drill is firmly impressed in my mind.

Funnily enough, only yesterday we were talking to an ex meteor pilot who had been told, during training, that the drill for exiting a meteor was 'put your head between your legs and kiss your backside goodbye' and, he said that information was thought to be as useful as the official instruction.:)

I am too young to remember the crash but up to 16 years old we lived on silkstone crescent,and used to play on those fields,there were two i think massive holes that we uesd to make dens in,and we were told is was haunted by that pilot.We used to be terrified that he would come and as I got older thought whole thing was rubbish NOW I KNOW ITS NOT whoo hooo spooky thanks for this information.