The McCann's used the fund to pay their mortgage!!!

Kittenta - maybe they should take time off from the search for their daughter to organise a garage or car boot sale! What a great idea! duh

I can only presume that people have not quite grasped what these two are going through if they are begrudging them a couple of mortgage re-payments.

the Vatican,I dont think they would have much chance of finding her there

They are Catholics, so they might think that prayers would help find their daughter. Stop being so bloody judgemental. If you had the same beliefs as them, you would have probably done the same.

And you would be wasting your time, efforts, money and welfare of the rest of your family. Instead, you could raise money to pay professionals to be a lot more effective. OK, so the Pope won't exactly be wandering around Portugal looking for their daughter but involvement from the Vatican is great PR and great PR brings in cash which brings in Professional help that will hopefully bring in results. If you look at the success rate of the PI company they are using when it comes to tracing missing children, it should be obvious why they are paying a small fortune for their help.

If indeed the McCann's are innocent and this isn't all for show then I would say their focussed and well advised efforts in finding their daughter should be a good example to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation as to just how much assistance can be found around the world rather than running around like a loose cannon being fuelled only by emotion rather than common sense.

Might be wasting my time but at least in my own mind I know I was doing something instead of relying on other people who are obviously not as emotionally involved as me..they can go home at the end of the day,get a days wage and forget about it,its only a job to them.I couldnt!!

Kittenta - maybe they should take time off from the search for their daughter to organise a garage or car boot sale! What a great idea! duh

What so they don't have time to sit and write a small list of items to auction and allow someone else to do it for them, they do have family you know! Plus, if they had an auction, they would probably raise more cash for items because of the reason they are auctioning it! Where did I put car boot sale? in your words 'duh'!

and for the last three months they have been stuck in England,doesnt sound like actively searching to me.

Have they been in England for the last 3 months? I thought it was rather less than that.

They are Catholics, so they might think that prayers would help find their daughter. Stop being so bloody judgemental. If you had the same beliefs as them, you would have probably done the same.

Nope the pope would have had to come to me,I would be too busy trying to find my lost daughter

What so they don't have time to sit and write a small list of items to auction and allow someone else to do it for them, they do have family you know! Plus, if they had an auction, they would probably raise more cash for items because of the reason they are auctioning it! Where did I put car boot sale? in your words 'duh'!

Of course, the family that raised a fund of over £1 million that is paying huge bills for the help of professionals could sit around selling off personal effects for what a few hundred or maybe a few thousand pounds. That makes loads of sense. Or, they could carry on the way they are - being effective!

Nope the pope would have had to come to me,I would be too busy trying to find my lost daughter

Don't you think going to see the pope might have got extra publicity and possible help in finding their daughter?

Might be wasting my time but at least in my own mind I know I was doing something instead of relying on other people who are obviously not as emotionally involved as me..they can go home at the end of the day,get a days wage and forget about it,its only a job to them.I couldnt!!

And professionals who are not as emotionally involved would of course be far more effective. If emotion carrys so much weight and these people just go home at the end of the day looking upon it as "a wage" then why are their results among the best in the world? They were hired because of their results. I would sooner have a results-orientated band of professionals helping me than a hundred distraught/hysterical family members running around aimlessly.

It was a figure of speech other people will understand where I am coming from there,it seems to have passed way over your head

Ok then humor me, what literally would have you done?

Don't you think going to see the pope might have got extra publicity and possible help in finding their daughter?

No, he doesn't think that way. He would rather put himself in an early grave with a clear conscience than actually find the child - at least that's what his posts lead me to believe. So, which would be more selfish?