Aeroplane factory in sheffield?

Does anyone know of an aeroplane factory in sheffield during WW2?

mY NAN WORK THERE WE THINK IT MAY HAVE BEEN ON EYRE STREET, but not sure if anyone has photos or maps or anything I would be interested, thanks for looking xxx

I don't think that there was any factory building aircraft but there were plenty building components for aircraft around the city, for example Shardlows built crankshafts for aero engines.

thanks for that, the company I have been told was ------ and wreakes. Dont know anything else at the mo xxx

Wrenkin & Wreakes? (?)

Not a Plane building factory but Bramahs now out at Halfway made and still do make many components for aircraft bodies and engines (particularly RR engines). A lot of parts that make aircraft work efficiently are made in Sheffield. The new A380 Airbus Giant was launched with RR engines, you can bet many of the parts in those engines were made in good old Sheffield.

Sheffield Simplex had a play around with a Zeppelin during the First World War - turned the thing on and blew down one end of the factory!

Parts for Spitfire engines were made in Sheffield.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-86368.html

When I was a little lad in the 1940's my dad used to take me to Owlerton to see "Wednesday" play..as I got off the bus opposite the ground I remember a scrap yard, and amongst all the scrap cars and such I remember the tail of an old Aeroplane sticking up pointing to the sky ..It was there for quite along time and I always used to look out for it when I went down that way.

Sheffield Simplex had a play around with a Zeppelin during the First World War - turned the thing on and blew down one end of the factory!

Do you know any more about this? JT

The company on Eyre Street I think may have been called ASME (Aircraft and sheet metal engineers).They were there up to the 1970's.

Crankshafts for the Rolls Royce Merlin engines were made, I was led to believe by a company called Ambrose Shardlow, somewhere near Meadowbank Road

It was Roper and .Wreaks i think.