Three girls burgled: Police don't attend!

Most of the time there is only me and another lady in our place of work, which is situated literally three minutes walk from a police station.

One afternoon my colleague was just going home, went out to her car in the car park and was accosted by a guy who was either drunk or stoned. He was aggressive and was wielding a broken bottle.

She came back in, petrified. We locked the doors and phoned the police. We were told that an officer would come round if one was available. Over and hour later, the guy is still in our car park - by now he has started to undress himself, and has spent the time smashing bottles against our wall. We called the police again and were assured someone would come - bearing in mind we are a short walk from the station.

In the end, I had to ring my BF and get him to come. He managed to get the guy to move on. The police never came.

The police have to prioritize. If you think that story sounds like a good idea I hope you aren't the one been beaten to death while the police stop someone stealing a spade.

They appear to prioritise easy wins.... speeding tickets / parking tickets etc.

They appear to prioritise easy wins.... speeding tickets / parking tickets etc.

Do you honestly believe that to be true. Do the police turn up for someone getting a parking ticket?

I don't think this incident warrants a 999 call, that number should only be used in a life and death situation.

I was recently burgled, while I was upstairs. Afterwards I rang the police on a non-emergency number.

My daughter's student house in Manchester was burgled between 3.30 and 5 today.

The three girls were/ are very upset unsure how the burgler/s got in if still there. The rang 999 shortly after 5 up till 8 tonight no police officers have attended.

I rang the Manchester police at 7, who said we have no one available at the moment. I said the girls were sitting there petrified with no one to turn to, being away from home. This had no effect on this man, he said a man reported the incident and the intruder was seen making off so they should not be worried about some one still lurking there.

I then rang my daughter again, she told me that what the police person on the phone me to said was false. One of the girls rang the police, no intruder was seen getting away at all.

This gave more concern to the possiblity of more than one burgulary with the police getting it wrong.

My daughter said she saw a policewoman on the beat just before I rang her, she said maybe I should have took up the courage to go outside and tell her, but she was too scared.

You can't blame the police, maybe they were too busy enforcing political correctness to worry about crime :huh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=490392&in_page_id=1770

Do you honestly believe that to be true. Do the police turn up for someone getting a parking ticket?

I can tell you it is true, and yes, sometimes they do turn up to issue tickets.

Well, the Police in Sevenoaks are very diligent. I had a £5 spade pinched and they took a description from me (and no, I am not joking).

I can tell you it is true, and yes, sometimes they do turn up to issue tickets.

Yes but if you rang 999 and said someone has stayed to long on a meter I think we can all guess the response you would get. It would be an exceptional situation for the police to be called to issue a parking ticket and they wouldn't prioritise it.

Best advice to give the girls is to calm down and put it down to experience. Complaining will only prolong the whole thing and make them more nervous. It's horrible getting burgled but it prob happens to everyone at some point. The worst feeling is knowing someone has been in the house but these things are still pretty rare. No point picking it all apart... Maybe you could go and check the house over, if it's not secure enough you could have a word with the landlord about new locks etc.

Cheers good advice.

Last night the girls were all alone, no family all in a strange city Manchester. They could not get Opal to respond, the landlady's phone was permanently engaged the Uni staff were uncontactable. My hope was that the police would offer some help, they turned up after 10.30 pm over 5 hours after the 999 calls.

The police were back today with two forensic people in white coats, collecting evidence; dusting for prints. We suspect that there may have been something physical, against a person, in an incident close by Opal have secured the property , pity they could not have responded last night when the girls were worried.

I don't think this incident warrants a 999 call, that number should only be used in a life and death situation.

I was recently burgled, while I was upstairs. Afterwards I rang the police on a non-emergency number.

The girls thought an intruder was possibly present, they were alone in no family to turn to.

Why would an intruder be waiting in the house for the police to come instead of getting out of dodge as soon as possible?

Why would anyone intrude into a house known to be occupied ony by young females/

Who knows what goes on in a criminals mind?

The girls thought an intruder was possibly present, they were alone in no family to turn to.

You didn't mention that in your first post, indeed looking at the time of the post, they'd reported the incident 3 hours earlier, saying that it had happened sometime in the 1.5hrs previous to that. So how long did they think that someone might still be present?