Three girls burgled: Police don't attend!

My daughter's student house in Manchester was burgled between 3.30 and 5 today.

The three girls were/ are very upset unsure how the burgler/s got in if still there. The rang 999 shortly after 5 up till 8 tonight no police officers have attended.

I rang the Manchester police at 7, who said we have no one available at the moment. I said the girls were sitting there petrified with no one to turn to, being away from home. This had no effect on this man, he said a man reported the incident and the intruder was seen making off so they should not be worried about some one still lurking there.

I then rang my daughter again, she told me that what the police person on the phone me to said was false. One of the girls rang the police, no intruder was seen getting away at all.

This gave more concern to the possiblity of more than one burgulary with the police getting it wrong.

My daughter said she saw a policewoman on the beat just before I rang her, she said maybe I should have took up the courage to go outside and tell her, but she was too scared.

I have just grabbed this pic of another more light hearted thread

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/queenie-goddess/police001aq9.jpg

It is a bit ironic too me, not many people feel that the police make it safer especially when they can't attend a burglary where 3 girls are scared and upset.

It will be no use sending officers around to apologise three days later, which happened to my family 12 years ago on Hatfield House Lane in Sheffield.

I can appreciate that the girls are upset, but the police have to try and prioritise and making people feel better has to come below duties where they might actually catch someone.

I can appreciate that the girls are upset, but the police have to try and prioritise and making people feel better has to come below duties where they might actually catch someone.

:hihi::hihi: Thats a good un.

I'm not making a joke, what's the point of attending a property where there is definitely not a burglar, take the statements sure, but they didn't see anything, make them feel better, yes. Increase the likelihood of catching him, no.

I'm not making a joke, what's the point of attending a property where there is definitely not a burglar, take the statements sure, but they didn't see anything, make them feel better, yes. Increase the likelihood of catching him, no.
The point I was making is that there could well have ben an intruder still in the house, with three frightend girls not knowing what to do!

The police guy on the phone said ' the incident was rung in by a man who claimed to see an intruder making his gettaway' I rang my daughter who told me that her female friend rang it in, and no intruder had been seen at all.

This could mean that:

1. the girls could have an intruder in the house.

2. there was a similar burglary close by.

3. the police phone guy had made a mistake, or was just lying.

None of which gave any comfort to the girls.

My daughter saw a WPC walking along outside the house , but was too scared to go and get her.

yet the police phone guy said that the police were too busy?

Who was this guy who rang in the incident, was it another burglary and the police cocked-up or was it the intruder himself saying that the intruder had made off leaving him in a house with frightened girls. I hope that last scenario is too far fetched.

Why would an intruder be waiting in the house for the police to come instead of getting out of dodge as soon as possible?

Best advice to give the girls is to calm down and put it down to experience. Complaining will only prolong the whole thing and make them more nervous. It's horrible getting burgled but it prob happens to everyone at some point. The worst feeling is knowing someone has been in the house but these things are still pretty rare. No point picking it all apart... Maybe you could go and check the house over, if it's not secure enough you could have a word with the landlord about new locks etc.

The police have a lot of paperwork to do, Whatif wewin:

http://coppersblog.blogspot.com/

This blog will do more to put people off calling the police than anything, other than actually calling the police.

Sometimes two people report the same incident. This sounds like what may have happened here, a witness seen someone running away could have called up before your daughter, then when you called to see when police were attending, the call handler may have found the call from the witness.

Reminds me of the supposedly true story....

Lady rang police... "Help a man armed with a knife is breaking in to my shed"

Police "I'm sorry we have no one in your area, lock the door, stay inside you'll be safe"

Lady "Don't worry, I'll sort them out with my shotgun".... hangs up

.... 3 minutes later armed response unit arrives

Police fail to find imaginary shotgun, arrest man and threaten to arrest lady for wasting police time.

Police " we though you had a shotgun"

Lady " I thought no one was in the neighbourhood"

In essence the only way to get a response is to exxagerate the seriousness.

Reminds me of the supposedly true story....

Lady rang police... "Help a man armed with a knife is breaking in to my shed"

Police "I'm sorry we have no one in your area, lock the door, stay inside you'll be safe"

Lady "Don't worry, I'll sort them out with my shotgun".... hangs up

.... 3 minutes later armed response unit arrives

Police fail to find imaginary shotgun, arrest man and threaten to arrest lady for wasting police time.

Police " we though you had a shotgun"

Lady " I thought no one was in the neighbourhood"

In essence the only way to get a response is to exxagerate the seriousness.

The police have to prioritize. If you think that story sounds like a good idea I hope you aren't the one been beaten to death while the police stop someone stealing a spade.