Trouble Browsing through my computer.

I ve suddenly started having trouble browsing through MY Computer.

My C drive opens up ok, if not a little slower and I can go through all my files on there without too much trouble.

My D partition on the other hand is a real problem, takes several mins to open up and has on ocasion stopped responding whilest going through my files.

My USB external Drive is compleately unacssesible.

It just wont open at all and the icon has changed too.

Everything that is on there still works, ie mp3's on my I tunes but I just cant open it up.

Its also the same when browsing the same drives through a program, for example when you want to save a piece of work.

Its odd and smells of a bug to me.

Anyone had simallar experience.

Its a PC by the way with Windows Xp

Try to restore your system to an earlier time using the Windows System restore facility.

It could just be conflicting software problems.

Have you downloaded and installed any new programs lately via CDroms or the net?

I ve suddenly started having trouble browsing through MY Computer.

My C drive opens up ok, if not a little slower and I can go through all my files on there without too much trouble.

My D partition on the other hand is a real problem, takes several mins to open up and has on ocasion stopped responding whilest going through my files.

My USB external Drive is compleately unacssesible.

It just wont open at all and the icon has changed too.

Everything that is on there still works, ie mp3's on my I tunes but I just cant open it up.

Its also the same when browsing the same drives through a program, for example when you want to save a piece of work.

Its odd and smells of a bug to me.

Anyone had simallar experience.

Its a PC by the way with Windows Xp

Try unplugging your external USB drive...

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the USB electronics in the external HD which were faulty.

Try to restore your system to an earlier time using the Windows System restore facility.

It could just be conflicting software problems.

Have you downloaded and installed any new programs lately via CDroms or the net?

Cheers , done the system restore and run the usual AVG, Ad Aware etc....

Yes have downloaded software from CD ROM recently ?

Try unplugging your external USB drive...

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the USB electronics in the external HD which were faulty.

Yep , this works and the c nd D drive work fine but how did you reolve the problem as I still need to access the external F drive ?

Yep , this works and the c nd D drive work fine but how did you reolve the problem as I still need to access the external F drive ?

firstly you will need to find out if it's the drive or the electronics which are faulty, if it's just the electronics, I think you can get new drive housings from Maplin.

If it's the drive its self, then game over I'm afraid.

firstly you will need to find out if it's the drive or the electronics which are faulty, if it's just the electronics, I think you can get new drive housings from Maplin.

If it's the drive its self, then game over I'm afraid.

Well the drive still works, as it still reads and utilises all the MP3 files on there from I Tunes etc....

I just cant physically open it up to organise.

Whats a drive housing ?

Just bumping this one up as Im still having problems

Its a WD My Book Essential Drive.

Anybody any ideas ?

I'm wondering if this is an issue with drive letters - have you added any flash drives or any other external drives to the PC? Bear in mind that adding a card reader adds about 6 drives to My Computer, and in my case I've had these take over from existing letters I'd already assigned to other stuff, meaning that the other stuff stops working.

So does the WD MyBook show up in Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, and if you reassign the drive letter to something well out of the way (M: or P: or something) does that help at all?

Just a thought.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with drive letters - have you added any flash drives or any other external drives to the PC? Bear in mind that adding a card reader adds about 6 drives to My Computer, and in my case I've had these take over from existing letters I'd already assigned to other stuff, meaning that the other stuff stops working.

So does the WD MyBook show up in Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, and if you reassign the drive letter to something well out of the way (M: or P: or something) does that help at all?

Just a thought.

Tried it , unsuccesful Im afraid.

It's driving me mad:confused: