Rsj to open out kitchen with dining room

Hiya I am after opening up my offshot kitchen into the dining room which will involve fitting an rsj, can anyone recommend any structural engineers or builders to do this. I have spoken to building regs and that will cost £162, but they will need some load bearing calculations which is where the structural engineer comes in. Does anyone know how much the structural engineer calculations will cost and the actual building work.

A friend had one done and paid £500 for the building work but didnt bother with building regs. Has anyone done this and can they offer any advice, cheers.

I've done this in my house. I think the structural calculations cost about £150 and the work itself about £200. The RSJ was £30 from a scrap yard. Its made a huge difference to the house and means we have a useable kitchen rather than a mini kitchen! Also its made the whole room lighter and brighter and generally nicer. Good luck with it..

I have just done this in my kitchen.

I used a Structural Engineer at Andrew Russell Associates named Gary Pagdin. Their tel is 0114 2554044. He was really good and did all the calculations. He cost around £175.

Once he had been I applied for the Building Notice (I assume that is the £162 you mention), the Building Inspector came round to look at the RSJ when it was in, and came back again once it was plasterboarded up, then I received my completion notice.

I wouldn't do the work without getting proper building regs consent - you could have problems selling the house in the future without it if you don't.

Hope this helps

Hiya thanks for all your advise I have tried Andrew Russell and Ass but they have merged to the Rowlton Group and now charge £300/350 + VAT. Does anyone know any structural engineers, I was hoping to pay under £200! thanks

hiya im a builder (bricky) by trade i do a lot of this kind of work and can come out and give you a quote . ive done a lot of work on here for fellow forummers if you get stuck give me a ring on 07838180080 thanks

Used a couple of scrap railway lines for my offshot. well overstrength but £15 for whole job (including plaster)..

I am thinking of going the building notice route but am worried that they will want me to leave a bit sticking out on the wall to retain the beam. Has anyone done this and gone flush to the wall enabling me to put units all along it? thanks