Holgate Crescent - Parson Cross - Sheffield

In 1946 whilst most of the new Parson Cross was being built I went to live at 77 Holgate Crescent. Initially attending Eccelsfield Junior School then Burgoyne Road, Walkley and eventually the first ;A; stream to go through Colley Sec Modern.

Did anyone on the forum live on Holgate Crescent at this time.

I remember: Carters, Murphy's, Godleys, Streets.

Hi

Albert I never lived in your area, I was brought up in Grimesthorpe but I think my Aunt and Uncle and cousins lived there(Whithams). As a kid I remember going to their house, it was a different world to my area, it had fields and open spaces and the house had a bathroom, it did look posh to me, mind you that was many many years ago

Hi

Albert I never lived in your area, I was brought up in Grimesthorpe but I think my Aunt and Uncle and cousins lived there(Whithams). As a kid I remember going to their house, it was a different world to my area, it had fields and open spaces and the house had a bathroom, it did look posh to me, mind you that was many many years ago

The name ' Whitham ' rings a bell and I think they lived up the crescent near to the eight foot, though that is a guess. Can you recall the number?

I note your comment ' the house had a bathroom and it looked posh '. It puts things in perpective from what housing conditions were like then and now. It's not really long ago.

Hi Albert

when I see my sister I will ask her about the number as she is in contact with one of our cousins, 3 lads John Peter and Paul. I believe that at least 2 of them worked for the Sheffield transport out of the Herris Road depot.

You are right about the housing conditions, I was the youngest of 5 kids, no bathroom just an outside toilet and a tin bath but my memories are more happy than sad. Imagine Parson Cross was like going out into the country side a breath of fresh air, so have times improved.

May I suggest that you get your memories written down, posibly using the forum to ask questions and leaving information, Some day, Some relation or interested person will be very, very pleased that you did. When,How and Where we lived fifty odd years ago is our history and it should be preserved to be read or told to the next generations.

I lived over on Lindsay and we used to walk across to the chip shop at Holgate. There were only 2 shops (the other one being a kind of general store) but I think there are 2 bungalows built there now.

But I remember being told that German Prisoners of War laid the roads on Holgate Road and Crescent. I remember them being individual large rectangular concrete slabs, not continuous runs as with tarmac and ashfalt road surfaces. Can anyone confirm this? My Grandmother moved onto Deerlands Avenue about 1930 so maybe she knew this. If it is so, then this is an Historical fact that younger generations may find interesting and not to be forgotten.

I lived over on Lindsay and we used to walk across to the chip shop at Holgate. There were only 2 shops (the other one being a kind of general store) but I think there are 2 bungalows built there now.

But I remember being told that German Prisoners of War laid the roads on Holgate Road and Crescent. I remember them being individual large rectangular concrete slabs, not continuous runs as with tarmac and ashfalt road surfaces. Can anyone confirm this? My Grandmother moved onto Deerlands Avenue about 1930 so maybe she knew this. If it is so, then this is an Historical fact that younger generations may find interesting and not to be forgotten.

The roads were contructed of concrete and pulmist? was inserted in the gaps between the large regangular slabs to take up, the expansion and contraction feature. I'm almost certain that German Prisoners of War did much of the New Parson Cross initial foundation work. Road, Water, Sewerage Etc They were probably billitted at Bracken Hill, Chapletown or may be Grenoside but lets hope someone can enlarge on this.

Charlesworths, Boots and Malthouses (Builders) were the main constructors at the site. It would be nice if a relative of one or two ex POWs would join the thread with any stories.

There was a family named Woollen lived on Holgate (Cresent I believe) and if my memory is correct, the number was 45. Also my father was a Plumber with Charlesworth at the time NPX was being built.

There was a family named Woollen lived on Holgate (Cresent I believe) and if my memory is correct, the number was 45. Also my father was a Plumber with Charlesworth at the time NPX was being built.

Unless we are talking about a different Wollen. Mrs Wollen lived at either 75 or 79. My next door neighbour I lived at 77.

She had a son called 'John ' who I believe became a Rent Collector.

He was about five years older than myself, so he's now 75 but still young enough to join us on the Forum.

Hi

wouldn,t be harry whitham would it??? called his wife alva or summat like that??? if so,i used to be harrys carer bfore he went into care at a home in ecclesfield.

Hi

okismoki yes you have the right people, and it does not matter where you lived on Halifax Road posh or not you looked after one of my Uncles so to me you are a Star thanks.

Hi

okismoki yes you have the right people, and it does not matter where you lived on Halifax Road posh or not you looked after one of my Uncles so to me you are a Star thanks.

Another job that was able to be done by ' Sheffield Forum '.