Tag-a-longs and road safety

I have recently bought a tag a long which attaches to the rear of my mountain bike and makes an extra bike for my 4 year old to come with me.

the tag a long which has a flag on the rear right also helps keep the traffic from getting to close.

As a heavy user of the road on my bike i come across all types of drivers many anti bike but when i am with my 4 year old son the traffic at all times give me a wide berth, many going on the other side to pass.

I would never had believed the difference motorists are when you are carrying a child and i fell very safe with him on the back.

It make a pleasant change from the snears and road rage motorists create now days.

The trouble is though i wish he would pedal.

Originally posted by Mo

Cycleracer, aren't you bothered by car fumes or more to the point isn't your little one?:(

It's a lovely idea but I think that I would be too scared to use it.

The car fumes i,m affraid are with us for ever and they are a problem but we do go on quiet roads away from traffic.

We usually go to Fairholmes or Dam Flask were its quiet but we do have to go on main roads to get there.

Regarding him being scared, nope he loves it and talks about it all the time, he has his own cycling kit and helmet and really can't get enough.

[Edited by Tony Ruscoe - just fixed formatting]

I think that it's great that you are encouraging your kids to enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise...too many sit glued to the tv and dare I say it computer these days.

Do you all go cycling? I can just imagine all 7 of you tootling along. Ever fancied a tandem?:D

Hi C.L.R,

When I did a one thousand mile tour of Wales, way back in the eighties which took me a month, staying in hostels along the way. I encountered some pretty vicious motorists, who deliberately tried to knock me off my cycle, for having the temerity just to be there on the road.

A white van ( have you ever heard of the white van man? ) kept swerving across my path on a wet greasy road and shouting obscenities at me, trying this manoevre four times before driving away.

Then, a car overtook me on a hill, full of stupid yobo's, reduced speed so that he was riding at the side of me and when level, one of the idiots opened his window and shouted at the top of his voice right in my ear, hoping I would fall off and go down the cliffe.

Had he succeded, it would have been deliberate Murder,luckily I managed to keep my balance and kept going, but what kind of person would try to kill someone for no reason at all?

Originally posted by Mo

Cycleracer, aren't you bothered by car fumes or more to the point isn't your little one?:(

When you're cycling on busy roads you actually take in less carbon monoxide than people sat in their cars. This is because you exhale a lot harder due to your lungs working harder. So, not only are you getting fit by cycling you're actually breathing cleaner air. :lol:

Hi Hal,

Yes its a familiar road i go down regular, its just that some people are anti bike and nothing will stop these morons causing havoc until they caught red handed by the police.

Its just something we put up with but i will tell you a story when we visited Wales.

We were riding along a mountain side road about 20 of us, and one rider was notorius for using his fists rather than his mouth, a great guy and a plesure to ride with but anyone cross him you would be on the seat of your pants.

Now, he was in his 50s riding for many years and an ex pro so one guy in a car decided to start mouthing off for no apparant reason so we will call him Tom as I don't want to mention his real name as he is quite well known and Tom shouted back some obscenaties.

Next minute the driver pulled up and jumped right into Toms path almost sending him off his bike and the rest of our peleton almost followed.

So this guy got really nasty and Tom said nothing and chined him, the guy then pulled out a 4x2 from the car and went towards Tom who chined him again.

We then went happily on our way and i was a little nervous riding on the rear with Tom and he said what are you worrying about.

Well i,m worried and waiting for him coming up behind us and running his car into the lot of us, and he said no chance of that son, and pointed to his mate in front of us holding a set of keys, these are his car keys and while the enraged driver was taking a pot at Tom i grabbed his keys from the ignition and then he calmly threw them over the hedge.

So not only did that driver start with the wrong guy, he had a long walk home to.

Hi Cycleracer,

What a lovely story, that is just what some of these people need, a good punch and being disabled at the side of the road, I wonder how long it took the motorist to get going again. Ha Ha.

Seriously though, I can not understand why some motorists resent we cyclists on the road, as we only do it for pure joy and don't get in anyones way.

We got a Tag a long for our daughter (nearly 4), and I have found most people treat us with respect, and good humour. I have noticed the same "wide berth" when cars overtake. I just wish my daughter would pedal a bit! (the crank is a bit long for her still) At least its better than pulling the 2 seater trailer with 2 kids in. That gets you fit quick!

Well your right there it is an good way of getting fit and my 4 year old does'nt pedal either but he says he does.

Suprising though on the odd occation when he has pedaled i have felt a difference.

I need to get him to pedal more often so it will take some of the strain off me and get him a little fitter.

Can't expect to much though, he is after all only 4.

The difference in traffic passing you is unreal, I feel that i,m riding in Spain were they do that all the time but when i get back on my own bike then its back to the old chaos.

Many people in my area are not used to seeing such a strange novelty and look and comment nicely when you pass them.

Its good fun, gives me time with my nipper and gets him out of the house.

Archived