What would represent sheffield as a sculpture?

Like The Angel of The North? I don't know how much that cost but it must have recouped the outlay by now. It appears on postcards, in books, on television, in films, and attracts visitors to the North East which in turn boosts the local economy. Love it or loathe it, it has become an icon and helped to regenerate and revitalise Newcastle. That is why WE need a sculpture. What has Sheffield got to rival it? All we have is introspection on a massive scale.

00Soul we've got plenty of things already in Sheffield that we are known for, Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens, Meadowhall to name but a few. However we don't seem to have good roads, working street lights, nurses in our hospitals and bobbies on the beat.

A 50m steel bust of Prince Naseem Hamed

:gag::loopy::gag::rant::gag::mad::gag:

The City Itself, every brick, every tree.

No other man made sculpture could represent Sheffield any better than the years of hard work put into the building of The Steel City.

00Soul we've got plenty of things already in Sheffield that we are known for, Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens, Meadowhall to name but a few. However we don't seem to have good roads, working street lights, nurses in our hospitals and bobbies on the beat.

Sorry Loopylass I disagree. Public art is not funded in the same way as the other things I agree Sheffield (and other cities) are short of. In the National scheme of things the Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens and Meadowhell are not known outside of Sheffield. We have to wise up to the fact that we are small fry compared with other cities in England and will continue to be so while ever we allow scc to implement what they want (which is usually of inferior standard). Sad but true

i would do the 2 cooling towers with meadowhall in the back ground i dont know about anyone else but if i been out of sheffield out and about or on holiday, but when im commin home when i see them i know im home

A 200 ft deep stainless steel pothole, filled to the brim with a lake of broken cars !

lol, I know what they could make a sculpture of, a working flood defense system, dont really care what they build it out of as long as it works.

Sorry Loopylass I disagree. Public art is not funded in the same way as the other things I agree Sheffield (and other cities) are short of. In the National scheme of things the Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens and Meadowhell are not known outside of Sheffield. We have to wise up to the fact that we are small fry compared with other cities in England and will continue to be so while ever we allow scc to implement what they want (which is usually of inferior standard). Sad but true

I've been all over the country to different places and many of the people I've met know of the places I mentioned. I can't understand why spending money on some sculpture would benefit when it could be used for something we need. I've lived in Sheffield all my life and people all over the country know it so don't see how having one would put us on the map so to say.

:nono: All Sheffield wants is another bloody eyesore :gag: we should just grass it over and plant a few trees :thumbsup:

Spacebar.broke.

My.idea:

Two.large.wind.turbines.

Would.replace.the.landmark.towers.that.represent.the.past.

Usher.in.the.future.

Next.to.the.new.biomass.site.Easy.to.connect.to.this.Redevelop.the.area.

Sheffield:The.Greenest.City.

Put.money.where.is.the.mouth.

Think.how.it.would.fit.with.all.the.factors.and.opinions.involved.

And.crucially:Its.not.a.sculpture,its.practical.Will.this.satisfy.the.Sheffield.cynics?

Probably.some.steel.in.the.structure,too.

Come.on.Lets.get.practical..

This.idea.is.not.copyright.Anyone.can.use.it.....PLEASE.:}

I've been all over the country to different places and many of the people I've met know of the places I mentioned. I can't understand why spending money on some sculpture would benefit when it could be used for something we need. I've lived in Sheffield all my life and people all over the country know it so don't see how having one would put us on the map so to say.

Tell that to the people of Newcastle.