Argh! Outsourced customer support

I've recently tried out doing some domains through the company OneandOne (1&1) . Big mistake...

Obviously there are always two sides to a story, and I'm sure they have a lot of happy customers, but disclaimers aside, I've been shocked by the poor quality of service from this hosting and domain registration company. I had read good things about them, but unfortunately I think they are a casualty of their own success. Why is it that all successful companies suddenly start outsourcing their customer support? Outsourced tech support just doesn't work - argh! It drives me mad :evil:

Half the time they don't even know their "own" products, although this makes perfect sense when you consider their HQ is near London and their customer support is somewhere in Asia.

If Sheffield Forum ever becomes so big that I need hundreds of lowly paid moderators (they are free at the mo!) then please remind me *not* to outsource... :lol:

I tried to upgrade my Sky package when The Blades were riding high last season, got through to Sky's call centre in Bombay.

The quality of the line was terrible, obviously compressing the call to about 4k, or maybe IP. Whilst the operator was very pleasant it took twice as long as normal because I could hardly hear them.

I really don't know why firms outsource customer support. Surely it's the most important job in the company - simply without any customers there will be no company.

I don't really agree with British jobs being exported overseas either, so I try to avoid companies which use this tactic to reduce their costs.

Had a call last week from someone who could only speak very poor english, I think he was Indian. He was doing research for an online company, dunno who.

I couldn't understand a word he was saying and he couldn't understand me.

I could sense that he was filling in his own answers on the questionaire, whats the point?

It was quite an interesting conversation (not) and a complete waste of my time.

Very stange.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by XADRIAN

This is exactly what HSBC are doing. They are outsourcing some of thier work to India and China. Cheap labour and all that.

How long, I wonder, before some 'genius' decides the 999 service would be a lot cheaper if transferred there?

I used to work for Jacobs Manufacturing, the owners opened a factory in China and all our production was transferred to the Chinese plant when they finally got up and running and the Sheffield factory was closed, the workers there are paid about a tenner a week so minimum wage or not we cannot compete !

Originally posted by t020

Thank the UK minimum wage disincentive to companies for this.

t020 why is it so wrong for people to be paid a decent wage and lets be fair the minimum wage can heardly be called generous.

Labour costs are one of the costs of being in business. Perhaps if you can't afford to pay your workers a decent living wage then you can't afford to be in business. Or maybe the larger companies just want larger and larger profits and one of the ways they get this is to drive down wages.

It always amazes me how it's one rule for some and another rule for the rest ie we need to pay the top brass hugely inflated salaries with share options in order to keep them but at the same time we need to drive down wages at the bottom end.

Archived