Anyone remember barnards on the manor top?

i remember as kids every easter without fail we had to wait till easter monday in the manor club after the easter bonnet parade had finished before we could go up 2 barnards for there easter eggs as they reduced them to half price on the monday lol this was in the late 70s oooooooooo i loved that shop it sort of used to be in 2 halves if i remember correctly the bottom bit sold toys n stuff while the top half sold sweets ect n ciggies xxx good memories

Used to get off the bus there on way to school and would call in for 5 Park Drive and a 1/4 of liqurice and blackcurrants. Remember the older guy, Mr Barnard ? who smoked a pipe and the smell drifted through the shop. Sometimes we would call at Hibberts sweet shop on other shopping precinct next to chemist in the same shop as now occupied by the Halifax agency, glass jars full of sherbert lemons, pineapple cubes, penny liquorices.Happy days!

Pink & white striped paper bags that the sweets always stuck too on the inside

Just remembered it was cigars he smoked not a pipe.

I remember having my haircuts above Barnards and I remember going for sweets there (usually aniseed balls) after attending St John Ambulance Brigade. I also remember Fine-Fare, and the little coloured wooden chairs in Manor Library. I saw my first film at the Rex cinema.

I lived on Archdale Road at the time..No. 106. My name then was Fiona Fairclough and I hung out with Coral Smith, Jayne Hoyland, Jane Kitchen, Michelle Bushell...

Barnards started as two toy shops one in Woodhouse and the one at Manor Top. Not sure which they had first. They lived on Woodhouse Road up a short lane between two houses.

The sweet shop was originally a sarsaparilla bar run by an old couple who lived on Ridgehill Avenue. When they sold up Barnards purchased it and converted it to the sweet shop. The hairdressers up stairs came later.

When Barnards closed it was taken over by Alan Thorpe.

Next to Barnards was a bakers.

At the other end of the row of shops was a butchers run by an old lady (well she was when I knew her) and her son. The family had a chalet at Humberston fitties. It’s still there walked past it the other day.

Had a huge Chocolate Egg in the window every Easter!

that reminds me of easter in the manor club

easter bonnet parade and there was a turn on, i remember crying in the concert room to go and buy my easter eggs

my mum n dad always made me wait till after the easter bonnet parade had finsished ,,because by then the easter eggs in barnards had been reduced to half price

me and my frind would run like the clappers up to barnards( while mum n dad stayed in the pub) to get our eggs then wed scoff them on the way down and all afternnoon

then spew our guts up ha ha ha :hihi:

Bloody 'ell I'd forgotten about Barnards. I used to catch the bus home from school just outside after buying spice or a bun from there. Happy days.

you could get a big bag of broken biscuits from the bakery for 2p :)

Yes, bought many bags of broken biscuits from them, Christine Barnard was in my class at prince Edward

yes lol over the wall in school breaks{prince edwards} and in to the shop for sweets or to the bakery for a large uncut loaf then of to the chippy and fill the loaf with chips for dinner such fun

some old pics bring back old memmories

manor-1.jpg

manorhouse-1.jpg

manor2.jpg

s12435.jpg

s12423.jpg

s19016.jpg

I am sure they were one of the few places to open on Xmas day if I remember rightly.