Old broomhall flats

I lived on these flats. Was just thinking of them just last night. The rooms were massive plenty of space to play. Used to go play on the green area behind the fitzwiliam block and also were the electicity generators across from The Wellington pub at footie with me Dad. I dont remember em looking ugly at the time but thinking back they were very grey bit like a prison. Loved living there tho and wouldnt mind doing so now if they were still there.

I lived on these flats. Was just thinking of them just last night. The rooms were massive plenty of space to play. Used to go play on the green area behind the fitzwiliam block and also were the electicity generators across from The Wellington pub at footie with me Dad. I dont remember em looking ugly at the time but thinking back they were very grey bit like a prison. Loved living there tho and wouldnt mind doing so now if they were still there.

I remember my mum making us a guy and us kids sitting outside the generator guying.

Gosh, looking back now its about 25 years ago, still remember it like it was yesterday!

We used to make a fortune, and it was a proper guy, not like the kids make these days, a lot of time and effort went into it.

Loved them flats.

I remember my mum making us a guy and us kids sitting outside the generator guying.

Gosh, looking back now its about 25 years ago, still remember it like it was yesterday!

We used to make a fortune, and it was a proper guy, not like the kids make these days, a lot of time and effort went into it.

Loved them flats.

Me too bobs, doesn't seem like 2 mins ago. God how time flies. My family left in '79 into a brand new house with big garden and even tho our flat didnt have one I much prefered the flats. We had a massive verander which in summer me Mum would fill with water & we paddled in it.

Many thanks to Plain Talker for her documentary work--I remember the flats although I never lived there, or even close to them. A builder friend of mine, a Sheffielder although he now lives elsewhere, told me he worked on the demolition and one man was fataly squashed betweeen two of the concrete slabs when a whole set of them collapsed in domino fashion--everyone ran for their loves but one chap was not so fortunate. It was a very messy death, but I suppose very fast and possibly painless.

Many thanks to Plain Talker for her documentary work--I remember the flats although I never lived there, or even close to them. A builder friend of mine, a Sheffielder although he now lives elsewhere, told me he worked on the demolition and one man was fataly squashed betweeen two of the concrete slabs when a whole set of them collapsed in domino fashion--everyone ran for their loves but one chap was not so fortunate. It was a very messy death, but I suppose very fast and possibly painless.

I seem to recall my dad speaking of somthing like that when I was little, I think someone was crushed as they were built also. My dad was a fireman and attended the incident

Hi

I saw that you were looking for images around the domio pub.

I'm also looking for photos of the area, old and new. If you managed to get any, would I possibly be able to use them as well??

Thanks

Hi Algy,

Glad to see someone has mentioned Clarence Street. What memories do you have of the road. My Great Great Grandparents had a beerhouse on there,I was searching info for ages for the name of their pub but then found out it was a beerhouse which could mean they just sold beer etc from their front room. I know there was a lot of pubs on there but the only name I've come up with up to now is Lincoln city arms,on the corner of Clarence Street and Hodgson Street.There's a painting of this pub by George Cunningham,shown in his book called "By George", if you're interested, it shows H.Lazenby fruit shop next door.My G.G.Grandparents address was 109 and their name was Dunn. I believe Clarence Street was a long road and would like to know how far 109 was from Lincoln City Arms and I'd like to know if there are any photos and if you could tell me the names of the other pubs. Many Thanks

I've only just fallen over this site by accident and was gob smacked to find interest in Broomhall. I lived here for many years and was upset by the news that we were to leave there and move to another area of Sheffield. (Never forgiven my parents for that)

We lived on High Fitzwilliam opposite the Wellngton pub, all us kids used to go in there to get sweets by knocking on a little window at the side of the bar. The Landlord as I remember was always a miserable sod !

Great place to be when you're a kid, all the hidey places and adventures we all had. Brings back wonderful memories !!!:)

I lived on Wellington Row which was also opposite Washington Pub on Wellington Street.

I moved from there in 1972 when I got married. My mum lived there until 1986when she was 'forced' to move out.

We were in a ground floor maisonette and my bedroom was on the ground floor next to the kitchen (could sneek in and out through the bedroom window without the parents knowing! :hihi:)

I have lots of fond memories of the flats both living and visiting.

didn't live on the flats, but a lot of my friends did. We lived on William street nr the Hanover pub. Used to go to the Domino pub even though wasn't strickly of age to do so. the flats may have been an eyesore and they were poorly made but a lot of the familys that moved onto them came from far worse places and loved living on there, i know we had some great times there when we used to go babysitting, most people looked out for others, it did have a sense of community. Easy for people who never lived on or nr them to judge.

I've only just fallen over this site by accident and was gob smacked to find interest in Broomhall. I lived here for many years and was upset by the news that we were to leave there and move to another area of Sheffield. (Never forgiven my parents for that)

We lived on High Fitzwilliam opposite the Wellngton pub, all us kids used to go in there to get sweets by knocking on a little window at the side of the bar. The Landlord as I remember was always a miserable sod !

Great place to be when you're a kid, all the hidey places and adventures we all had. Brings back wonderful memories !!!:)

I lived underneath you on Fitzwilliam Row. Me Dad used to go in The Washington and my mum worked there doing the meals. The landlord was called Bill and his wife Barbara. Many happy times we did have on the flats :)