Old broomhall flats

Grateful thanks to Picture sheffield:-

view showing construction work going on in city centre of Arundel Gate; Flat Street and Pond Street, right

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s14387

Construction of Arundel Gate at Norfolk Street

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s14388

Elevated view of Sycamore Street area looking towards Milk Street during the construction of Arundel Gate

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s14400

this is the very bottom of Ecclesall Road including Nos 16/20, A. Shapero Ltd, House Furnishers; No 10/14, J.A. Stacey Ltd., Motor Car Agents; Nos 6/8 & 10/14, W.E. Franklin (Sheffield) Ltd., Patent Carpet Beating Works

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s15170

Amazing stuff - I'm living on PictureSheffield at the moment!! I think it's all the more fascinating as I wasn't here when it was like this. Saying that, there's always been major (re)development in my time here - Meadowhall, Student Games facilities, Supertram etc etc. Isn't it strange that almost as soon as something is built, you can't remember what was there before.

Thanks again PT for your research and memories.

benson,

Isn't picsheff a fantastic source?

I've gone through it, and through it, and thought on so many of those pics "My God! I remember being at that place when ______ happened"

or "OOh i remember going there with ______!!"

or Ahhh, so THAT'S what _____ street looked like when my grandma lived there!" etc.

It really is the most wonderful resource.

Funnily enough, at work, yesterday, I was chatting to an elderly lady customer, about old cinemas, and certain palces in sheffield. I had the computer on, and was able to bring this site up and show her the places she was talking about.

She was absolutely rapt! (I think it made her day!)

i lived on there as a kid aswell it was a rite jungle we use to play knock door run with my brother and sister when we got bored i remember the old polish women aswell and the chippy we lived on high monmouth on the end i remember my brother falling over the doorstep and banging his head

Yeah it was a pretty rough place, i lived there for about 10 years when i was young, it was a good place to play.

I never found it a rough place to live. We moved in there when it was brand new (I think it was about 1967) and mum didn't move out until 1986 when they were being pulled down. We all loved living there - it was one of the best places we ever lived. Mum is always saying that she wished that she was still living there.

the holdens used to live on wellington row, next door to us and the kemptons, i think it was thier nan, lived on the other side to us

I lived on Wellington Row too - no.13. First maisonette under the archway. We used to go into the Washington on Wellington Road quite regularly.

I work right next to where Broomhall Flats were. They were emptied in about '86 and fenced off, as the council didn't have the money to either refurbish them or demolish them. I have a couple of pictures of them, which you can have. Might take a while for me to find 'em though. Ok if I PM you with them?

wow what memories that brings back we used to live on mamouth on the top floor boy we used to love playing on the park in the middle of the flats cant remember what yr it was i think it was mid eighties i remeber getting stuck in the lift with my brother and sister i was sat on the floor playing with a sindy dolls :hihi: also remeber the rubbish chutes boy they stunk

spent a lot off good times growing up on the flats me and all my brothers..THE HILLS..

Good to see that you're all well... different breed those of us that were dragged up in the concrete jungle.

I remember quite a lot about the flats and it's brilliant to read all the posts and remind me of those things again:)

I was the youngest of the HILL family so i can't be blamed for many of the problems that my big brothers may have caused:) It seems like a life that belonged to someone else but i agree with what others have wrote... it was a massive playground, i can't ever remember being bored.

I tried a few of the links to pictures and they didn't work... if you put up pics, could you please just check that they still work so that i can check them out... thank you!!!!

I tried a few of the links to pictures and they didn't work... if you put up pics, could you please just check that they still work so that i can check them out... thank you!!!!

some of the links are very old, dezill, so it might not be helped that you can't access them :(