Old broomhall flats

Hi, i remember the flats, we lived on them for about 15yrs when i was a kid! remember the vere jolly nursery? the chippy and the newsagents was run by Fiona, a woman with a big wart/spot thingy on the end of her nose, reminded me of the witch in the wiz. of oz!! a bag of scraps please............ (free of course!)ahhhhhhh the good old days, wellington row was were we lived.i could go on and on.........

I have just come across this thread. I also used to live on Wellington Row too. My mum lived there from them first being built to moving out just before they were demolished. We lived on the ground floor in the first maisonette just after the lift shaft.

We often used to go into the Washington pub.

We had some really happy and sad times whilst we lived there. Both myself and my sister got married whilst living there. Unfortunately my mum was made a widow whilst living there when my dad got killed in a car accident in 1974.

It was a really lovely place to live. We thought we had moved into a palace after living at Parkwood Springs in a 3 roomed back to back house and then a two bedroomed maisonette on Norfolk Park. There was a large front room, large kiitchen, a downstairs loo (very posh!), and three bedrooms (two upstairs and one downstairs - my bedroom!) plus a bathroom.

I know that my mum was very sad to leave Broomhall as the maisonette was really nice and the location was excellent, very convenient for shopping - all the shops on West Street, Division Street and of course easy access into town - no buses were needed just used to walk into town and also handy when on nights out as we could walk it back home.

I very often used to walk home in the evening after a night out, although I remember once having a scare when a car pulled up on Washington Street and asked if I was doing business - I was only 16 at the time and I was absolutely petrified - I'd never run home so fast!! Needless to say I avoided walking on Washington Road in the evenings after that.

Gezmark, here you go, my ducks, I knew there was a photo on the forum somewhere...

this was from a thread called "Cinerama", back in May2004...

here's the URL

http://www.swineherd.free-online.co.uk/lostpubs/setfour/dominoa.jpg

this should bring up the picture I mentioned before, of the BHFlats standing empty, prior to their demolition, with the domino Pub standing in the foregrgound. (it's also been demolished, and is now student flats, called something daft, like "Domino House" or "Domino Point".)

Hope that helps...

PT

Hi Plain Talker can't get that link to work, any ideas how I can? Cheers :)

Hi Plain Talker can't get that link to work, any ideas how I can? Cheers :)

that post was from early 2004, (almost 3 yrs ago) the site may no longer be "live", I linked to it, as an outside source, so I cannot tell you what's happeningthere. sorry, :(

I never knew these flats existed (I came to Sheffield in 1989 so a bit before my time) and as I'm kind of fascinated by stuff that's no longer there, these interest me. I can't work out exactly where they were though - can someone tell me what street/building is there now. I've even looked at the photo-links but can't get any bearings.

I'm also interested in what the inner ring road (St Mary's Gate/Arundel Gate etc) replaced - someone above mentioned houses where the "Waitrose" roundabout is now?? I also read somewere that Surrey St used to go all the way down to the bus station - true?

search "picturesheffield" for "napier st", Benson, there's a picture of a cobblers shop beside a bridge; that's where waitrose is now, and the Thai restaurant in the old bank.

also look for roundabouts, and the Lansdowne pub. they will show you what it was like there. (ooh and "view from st mary's church bramall lane" will also give you a nice aerial view of the area from about the 1930's/ 50s-there's three pic, of theat, looking up ecclesall, up the moor and along abbeydale IIRC)

Hope that helps? (other streets to search for are "pearl street", "Cliff street", "summerfield street" and "club garden road", which are nearby roads)

Thanks PT - can't see no cobblers shop or view from St Mary's, but am I right in thinking that the flats ran down the side of Hanover Way, between there and Fitzwilliam Street?

I lived at the Fitzwilliam Street side of Broomhall Flats. I used to get off the bus on West Street at the top of Fitzwilliam Street and walk down Fitzwilliam Street. We were also opposite Washington Street. As you came down Fitzwilliam Street there was two companies Surmanco (who made surgical equipment) and on the corner Ernest Hill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks PT - can't see no cobblers shop or view from St Mary's, but am I right in thinking that the flats ran down the side of Hanover Way, between there and Fitzwilliam Street?

yes they sort of were on a square, of Fitz' st, across by ernest hills, doen the dual carriageway and back along milton st ish see where the red circle is on this map

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=434750.046005379&Y=386750.727952571&width=700&height=400&gride=434771.046005379&gridn=386949.727952571&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=GB&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=5000&up.x=288&up.y=6

I will have another search on Picture sheffield, and see if I can find the pics for you, I deffo know there is one of napier st... back later

ok, the housing on napier st, (back of old ecclesall co-op) looked like this:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18222

if it won't open the picture itself, you can search by pic number on the site.

this is the number of the picture to search for it s18222

here is the pic, I said "cobbler shop" and I was almost right, it was a bootmaker (!!!! :rolls eyes: )

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s10660

ok you can see the housing behind the gap in the bridge, the building on the very right of the pic as you look at it, is the thai restaurant, now (was a bank) the cobblers:rolleyes: bootmakers is where the car park is directly behind the restaurant just before the waitrose building

Thanks PT for your sterling research work. I find all this fascinating. The trouble is, answers just lead to more questions (in my case :thumbsup: ). So, were St Mary's Gate, Hanover Way, Furnival Gate, Arundel Gate etc all there as streets before and just widened for the dual carriageway we have now, or were some created by pushing through old streets and buildings as the new section of the inner ring road has been around Shalesmoor and Nursery Street?

Also, when was the bottom of the Moor blocked off by the (Manpower Services?) building, and, before that, could you drive straight down the Moor and onto London Road?

yes, before manpower was built, london road and the moor were almost one continuous line, with a roundabout, on which stood the bank which is now the Thai restaurant, (will have to look if there s a piccy of that)but the manpower was built approx 30 yrs ago. The planner's original idea was to have the traffic continue to drive in a straight line through an arch/ tunnel (now covered, and built across) but it was decided that the security risk was too great, to have traffic driving through a government building. so it was scapped.

the section of the Moor, in the 1970s (from where the buses cross cumberland st, up to pinstone st) was a proper road, which had buses running along it right up until the very late 1970s. it was pedestrianised just before I left school. (so it must have been late '78 ish?) there was a bus stop right outside Woolworths(!!??!!) where I used to catch my bus to school of a morning.

if you "picture sheffield" (the SF quivalent of the act of googling :hihi: lol lol) the bottom end of norfolk st, and the old pond street, You'll see how much was demolished for the underpasses and dual carriageways along eyre st/ arundel gate etc. Although, to be fair, a heck of a lot of the buildings in the city centre were "Coventrised" during the blitz/ wwII, particularly the bottom end of the moor area, round where Atkinsons etc are now.

I'll see what I can find on Picture sheff, and do a linky, later. (also, have a peek in your library/ the central library's Local studies library at the shedloads of "old-sheffield books" with the pictures of bygone sheffield, some of them do comparisons of "then-and-'now'" - fascinating stuff!)