Old broomhall flats

wow! jonluvs...

I had forgotten how densely those flats were packed together!

That high aerial shot makes them look so crowded and forbidding!

Thanks for sharing those photographs with us!

PT

I agree Plain Talker, can't you just smell that cocktail of urine, vomit and dissinfectant?!

The design of the flats was so flawed, simply boxes plonked on top of each other. As I posted earlier, my great grandma lived in the Concrete Jungle in the seventies and I recall running up the ramp to her front door.

From what I can remember, her flat was quite nice, but fortunately being aged about 4 I can't quite remember what standard of living - if any - it offered.

Council housing and planning at its very worst, methinks.

Originally posted by jonluvsnique

now uploaded 3 photos of broomhall flats for those who were interested!!

http://img.animeotaku.info/flats.bmp

http://img.animeotaku.info/broom.JPG

http://img.animeotaku.info/flats.JPG

wow:) i can see my old flat there the first one on the left at the top:) :) :)

Originally posted by Elyndys

I guessed they must be there, thanks a lot for the info. I'm really interested in the history of Broomhall, but it's difficult to find out much! It's changed so much, with the flats built in the 60s, then replaced with the new houses; but then, you also have the old houses like the one I live in. If anyone has any info, I'd love to hear some history, especially from before the dual carriageway was built, if possible! :)

Hi Elyndys.

My grandmother lived all her married life in the same house on Clarence Street, which is now the ring road. There were 4 or 5 crossroads between whee Waitrose now stands and the new flats at the top, and every crossroads had at least 1 and most had 2 or 4 pubs on the corners! My Gran lived in a corner house, with one room on each floor, and only the front door for access. To go to the outside toilet you had to walk 4 houses up the road and down a passageway into a large communal yard where there were two rows of lavatories back to back. She lived in that house until it was demolished to make way for the ring road, then moved over the way to Sunny Bank, to a house that was demolished after she died to make way for the little park between Sunny Bank and Ecclesall Road. My uncle lived with her, and worked all his life as a silversmith at Viners near where the dept of Work & Pensions building now stands. :)

Originally posted by Ousetunes

I agree Plain Talker, can't you just smell that cocktail of urine, vomit and dissinfectant?!.

i dont remember this. iwas only a kid, but at least you could leave your front door open without the risk of getting burgled, how many estates WITHOUT some sort of securit boast this today. the best years of my life were spent on this estate

I remember Broomhall flats. I lived there from 1969 to 1979 from the age of 2 to 12. To me it was a giant playground. While the structure wasn't much to be desired, in between each square block of flats was somewhere where your imagination could run wild. Like the big wooden climbing frame in the middle (was this supposed to be a map of the flats?). We had such adventures as kids. I went to St Silas school & know all the families mentioned Hills, Masses, Kemptons & many more. We were the first family to occupy our flat on High Monmouth. If anyone remembers me or my family our surname is Hancock. Most may remember my older brother nicknamed Hank. We were famous on the flats for our vicious black & white collie dog.

i think there's one in stephen mcclarence's book of photos of sheffield. there's usually copies in waterstones.

steve once told me when he went to broomhall flats to take some pictures, a bloke came up and tried to take his camera, because he thought he was a spy from the dhss!

as a compromise, steve stood and opened the camera to destroy the film rather than lose his camera, which was an old worthless roll-film type but was a present off his dad.

Lived on there for about a year in the 70s, when we moved in there was a vile smell in the place which we put down to it being unoccupied for a while so had all windows open for ages, finally tracked it down to a used Sanitary towel in the cistern!

Moved out after me and brother in law set upon by about 15/20 blacks one night, they ran off after he was pushed through the glass in our front door slicing open his neck.

i cant believe there were so many flats!

i didnt even realise that there were ever flats there...

it is lovely to hear people reminiscing about the olden days - more stories pls!

Thanks empea for being the first person to refer to my childhood in the 70's as the olden days.

God I feel old now, I'm only 38. lol.

oops! soz! i err meant days before i lived in sunny sheff (this any better?!)

xx

Came across this thread by accident. My memories of the flats are this

1.the square

2.playing kick can caught

3. hot summers

4 bloody freezin winters

5 broken lifts

6. bouncing the lifts

7.the polish woman r.i.p(made her live hell)

8. the bins

9.growin up fast

10.apple scumpin