Old broomhall flats

Hey Skutch, I know this reply is about 2 years later but thought I'd respond anyhow, I remember your brothers well, M being the oldest then D then A. A was in my year, I remember him leaving to live with his mum on the coast if my memory serves me right, I can't remember you though, I thought it was just the 3 of them, hope you guys are all doing well.

I remember a Paul Bramhall.

I used to live on Monmouth gardens across from viners, I also went to school with the hills & the Kempton's & the polish woman lived around the corner from the hills opposite the adventure playground, remember when that was first built, the monorail was cool but they removed it cause someone died on it I heard. I never went to Springfield school, don't remember the nursery but used to go to the chipy for scraps!
I was born at jessops hospital and was brought up on broomhall flats i went to vere jolly nursery.They were the best days of my life ,i was there that day on the adventure play ground when that old woman was killed on the monarail she'd come straight from the wellington pub she was in a mess.My name is Lee Fauvel all my family lived on there we lived at 10 gel row .

I used to live on Monmouth gardens across from viners, I also went to school with the hills & the Kempton's & the polish woman lived around the corner from the hills opposite the adventure playground, remember when that was first built, the monorail was cool but they removed it cause someone died on it I heard. I never went to Springfield school, don't remember the nursery but used to go to the chipy for scraps!
my name is Lee fauvel i went to vere jolly nursery then springfield school all my family lived on broomhall flats most of my family worked at viners,i was there the day that lady died on the monarail she had come sraight out of the wellington pub sraight on to the adventure play groung me and my cousins saw her die it just stuck in my mind i dont think i will ever forget that poor lady.

I and my family lived on the flats for years they were the best days of my life.My name is Lee fauvel all my cousins lived on there both sets off grandparents it was a real comunity spirit,every summer we would have the carnival just across the rd on the square.If anyone remebers allan jones carl pearce nichola pearce brett johanne and loraine pearce these are all my cousins,then there was my mum and dad tom Fauvel and Jenny fauvel it would be great to hear from people who new them or me.

where was these flats, were they round where west1 is now?

where was these flats, were they round where west1 is now?

They were on the land opposite west one, Ian, where the new low-rise flats and houses are, on the other side of Broomhall Street.

Ernest Hill's factory (surgical blades mainly) was where the bottom corner of W1 is, at the junction of Broomhall St and Fitzwilliam street. There was a chapel (?Fitzwilliam Chapel?) and a fairly good pub further up, before you get to the "old" shops above W1.

They were on the land opposite west one, Ian, where the new low-rise flats and houses are, on the other side of Broomhall Street.

Ernest Hill's factory (surgical blades mainly) was where the bottom corner of W1 is, at the junction of Broomhall St and Fitzwilliam street. There was a chapel (?Fitzwilliam Chapel?) and a fairly good pub further up, before you get to the "old" shops above W1.

The flats were directley behind west st and glossip rd baths .I know the swimming baths arn't there now,i think there flats and pub now.Lee Fauvel

I lived there as a kid when I was 2-3 years old.I lived with my nan on Gell Street(or Gell Row?) It was the first block next to Hanover Way and she lived on the bottom so she had a garden at least.I visited alot during the late 70's as a kid,I remember the chippie as my nan always went there. My memories are abit hazy but I remember her flat well going to a nursery around there.

I lived on Victoria St from 77 to 81 and went to 'Springfield School' all my friends lived on the flats. I remember the 'Harrisons' and 'Wayne and Darren Wests' i used to knock about with 'Steven Dodds' (Doddsy) during the Mod revival and play on the adventure playgound.

Also hung round with 'Darren Wrigly'

I remember the 'Kemps' and 'Alan Bulby' he had a chopper bike like mine and we used to ride round the flats together.

The flats were rough but a great place to play as a kid when it rained. I remember pressing the lift button so it 'bounced' at ground and went back up.

Also watching the 'prossies' on havalock sq and counting 'jonnies' we could find.

ahh happy days

Any memories?

Edited by soad

Back in 1971, when our house at Walkley was due for demolition, the council offered us the key to a new flat in the newly built Exeter Drive. But, as we wanted a driveway for the car, we made a deal with some friends who were living in an estate house - we let them have the key to the new flat and they let us have their house. In retrospect I think we made the best move.

wow what memories that brings back we used to live on mamouth on the top floor boy we used to love playing on the park in the middle of the flats cant remember what yr it was i think it was mid eighties i remeber getting stuck in the lift with my brother and sister i was sat on the floor playing with a sindy dolls :hihi: also remeber the rubbish chutes boy they stunk

You know what I have a feeling i used to know you. I lived their around 84 as I remeber watching return of the jedi at the cinema when I lived in sheffield. The only reason why I think I knew you is because i remember a girl I used to play with who owned a big sindy house and she lived on the top of monmouth I think.

Don't know what made me look up the old broomhall flats I only lived their a short time before moving back to Birmingham. I would have been 10 then, now I feel so old.

did anyone get stuck in the lifts they where always breaking down

You could slide a twig in the bottom of the doors as they closed causing them to get stuck. I seem to remember this being a fun activity. I remember one time my and a friend i had there (Shaun maybe?) kept playing with the lift and the milkman got so annoyed he gave us 50p to get some "spice". When we told the other kids they didn't believe us as they said he wouldn't call sweets spice.

my name is Lee fauvel i went to vere jolly nursery then springfield school all my family lived on broomhall flats most of my family worked at viners,i was there the day that lady died on the monarail she had come sraight out of the wellington pub sraight on to the adventure play groung me and my cousins saw her die it just stuck in my mind i dont think i will ever forget that poor lady.

Why do I remeber this? When did this happen, I didn't remember it until I read your post but now I seem to be able to remebember it or maybe I was told about it when I lived there. It's odd because i can picture a crowd of people gathering around and an ambulance turning up and just standing there watching it.

Spingfield school, that had that victorian thing going on IIRC. They used to sell dundee biscuits at break, they were fantastic.

Edited by barcrest