Old broomhall flats

All i remember of the shops was buying 2 blackjacks or fruit salad sweets for a penny and that i'd have to save all my weeks pocket money to get a count dracula lolly. Money was made by getting the empty pop bottles from the workers at Viners across the road and trading them in for cash at the shop then we would go next door to the chippy and get a bag of scraps for nowt.I was to young to go into the domino but it didn't stop us sitting and messing about on the garage roof that was opposite the shops.

I have lived on Broomhall flats twice the first time for 10 years 1971-81 and then 1983-85 approx. I have some photos of my daughters playing on the flats, I lived on Egerton Row & High Cavendish the kids went to the nursery there and to St Silas school.

The flats were built of the wrong material and needed to come down but during my first period of living there it had a brilliant atmosphere and people looked out for each other it was a real 'community'.

I was involved through The Broomspring centre and local Tenants group when what was going to happen to the flats was under discussion. When I visit that area it looks Soooo different its hard to believe I am in the same place!!

i know your dad .thinking back he looked liked freddie mercury. but he was a nice guy .and iam sure he still is tell him i have seen chuck.. his friend back then in the 70s.

loverly times.x

Broomhall flats was my stomping ground from the age of 2 to 12, leaving in 1980.

This place was absolutely massive, excellent for hiding and you could ride your bike for hours without ever being on the ground floor.Loads of playing areas,adventure playground next to Springfield School. I lived at monmouth gardens then up to High Headford, i remember some of the names that have been mentioned in this thread and i'm sure my last name or my brothers M,D,A Bramhall may jog some memories.Always wondered what happened to the flats after leaving Sheffield, also remember hanging outside Viners and waiting for the steam to come up from the street grates and just laughing my head off as i stood over the grates.

Skutch

Did you move to Clackton?

if so i think we knocked around together?

i use3d to live on a block of flats the same as the broomhall ones in nottingham in 1972-1974. called balloon wood. i was only a kid and they were massive and lots of places to hide etc. both the sheffield ones and the nottingham ones were built by the same company and they were both pulled down at the same time bad construction etc . i always remeber the ones in nottingham as they has 2 bedrooms and bathroom as you walked in the door then downstairs was the other bedroom and kitchen and lounge with a massive balcony. i had friends who lived on the ones in sheffield and i noticed howe much the same they were.

Balloon Wood Flats, Wollaton, Nottingham

I have just come across this site about the old Broomhall Flats and seeing your entry really stirred a memory for me.

I lived at Broomhall from 1969 to 1973 and this time was quite traumatic for me and my marriage.

In 1974 I went to work in a Steel Foundry in Hertfordshire and I think it was about two years later I was back in Sheffield for some reason or other, anyway I was going back to Hertford on a Sunday afternoon by train but there was some problems with the rail system to St. Pancras and for some reason the train from Sheffield was diverted to Nottingham.

Because of the delays I had a few drinks in the Buffet in Sheffield and when the train got going I fell asleep.I was awoken when the train stopped,not at a station but just outside the flats at Nottingham the same as Broomhall!

Well it must have been the effects of being tired or a few drinks,but I thought I was in a trance or something, I was back at the Broomhall flats.

For a few moments I was in a panic I didn't know where I was or what had happened, I was in a time warp or something!

It wasn't until the train started to move again that I realised what was going on. The experience gave me quite a stir.Very scary!

Edited by CF8M
dates

The houses before the flats were built were condemned around 1960,

Most of the houses were known as 'back to back't they had one room downstairs one bedroom and an attic.The toilets were in the backyards and shared with at least one other family,

They were occupied with large families .How they managed beats me!

There were lots of little shops and pubs in the area.There was a little shop on Bath street next to Viners run by a lady called Alice Froggat/Hudson .She was born in that house in 1895 and ran the shop after her mother died until the houses came down in the early 60's

anymore pics on this place anyone, especially the insie of the flats.

anymore pics on this place anyone, especially the insie of the flats.

Hiya hun did you look on picturesheffield.com? Put in search Broomhall Flats and theres some there. I have some of us as kids inside our flat but you cant see much.