Old broomhall flats

Does anyone have any old pictures of broomhall flats apart from the one outside the domino pub?

Don't have any piccies but my great grandma used to live there. I remember running up the ramp to her door. I think there was a sweet-shop beneath. I got locked in grannie's loo along with my brother.

That was an awful building IMO. Always had the smell of urine and disinfectant. And yet, curiously, I was sad to see the bugger bulldozed. Strange huh?

Yeah it was a pretty rough place, i lived there for about 10 years when i was young, it was a good place to play.

I remember there was a thread a few months ago, with a black-and-white picture of the Broomhall Flats , just before demolition (they were standing empty).

I will see if I can find the link to them, or alternatively, you could try "picture Sheffield" on the net. they have a wealth of pictures from drawings, in the 1800s to photographs from the 1850's onwards to virtually the present day.

PT

Thanks Plain Talker, would be V grateful if could find the link, i've had a good look through picture sheffield & cant seem to find any.

Gezmark, here you go, my ducks, I knew there was a photo on the forum somewhere...

this was from a thread called "Cinerama", back in May2004...

here's the URL

http://www.swineherd.free-online.co.uk/lostpubs/setfour/dominoa.jpg

this should bring up the picture I mentioned before, of the BHFlats standing empty, prior to their demolition, with the domino Pub standing in the foregrgound. (it's also been demolished, and is now student flats, called something daft, like "Domino House" or "Domino Point".)

Hope that helps...

PT

Thanks again Plain Talker but that one i already have & cant find anymore, if anyone as anymore there is a reward of £1000000!

Hi, i remember the flats, we lived on them for about 15yrs when i was a kid! remember the vere jolly nursery? the chippy and the newsagents was run by Fiona, a woman with a big wart/spot thingy on the end of her nose, reminded me of the witch in the wiz. of oz!! a bag of scraps please............ (free of course!)ahhhhhhh the good old days, wellington row was were we lived.i could go on and on.........

also i remember the schools, mrs lydamore was the headmistress at springfield infants and mr carter was the head at the juniors. my nan used 2 be the lollipop lady at the hanover crossing, on the dual carriageway, near the church,(mrs cartwright, anyone remember her...) she did it for years, sadly, she passed away, god rest :-((

the bin chutes were always "bin" set on fire too, wernt me guv, honest, also there was the Hills, the Elliots, the Kemptons, the Massers, oh yes, and can any one remember "the polish woman", she lived on the ground near the springfield juniors entrance..........

I used to live on Monmouth gardens across from viners, I also went to school with the hills & the Kempton's & the polish woman lived around the corner from the hills opposite the adventure playground, remember when that was first built, the monorail was cool but they removed it cause someone died on it I heard. I never went to Springfield school, don't remember the nursery but used to go to the chipy for scraps!

are they the ones built by shepards in the sixtys?if they are i worked on them putting in the windows couple of poor souls died on them when the precast concrete fell on them when they were erecting them.

I think they were built in the sixties, concrete jungle it was called.