Power Stations from Ringinglow

I'd appreciate your help.

If you were to stand on Ringinglow Road facing toward the city centre, which power stations - and other noticeable features - should you be able to see on a clear day?

I am aware of some of the names of those visible, but always struggle to define which is which. You can see Eggborough, Selby and Drax for sure. Starting at the most northerly position, can anyone tell me in which order, progressing southerly, they are situated? Also, what is their approximate distance from Sheffield?

What other features can be seen? If one can see Drax power station then is it expecting too much to see the M62 flyover near Goole? Further south, I have been told that even Lincoln Cathedral can be seen (although, try as I might I've never seen it).

I'd really, really like your comments on this matter.

Theres a similar thread to this one already.

Mods may like to merge.

Contains alot of the distances and elevations ETC

Thank you for that, Fowler. Some interesting stuff indeed, admittedly a large percent of which flew above my bonce. But! No list of Power Stations looking from North to South and their respective distances. What with the boffins at University, surely someone has done some research on all this? (HELP!)

I'd love it if it were true that you can see York Minster with or without binoculars. As someone mentioned on the previous thread, Sheffield is truly unique in that you can literally stand on top of the world and look out for absolutely miles.

For this reason amongst many others, I love Redmires and Ringinglow.

FTR, I intend to borrow my parents-in-law's telescope, position myself off Ringinglow Road and spend an hour or two studying the horizon - now's the best time to do it, probably. Complete with an OS map, I might be able to locate a hole plethora of interesting landmarks.

Might even be able to tell you if Lendal Cellars is open in York...,

On a clear day from up here I can see the group at Ferrybridge/Drax to the northeast, and almost due east there is the group at West Burton/Cottam. Can't often see the latter group because of all the murk over Sheffield.

I think both groups are about 35 miles distant and our altitude is about 1200 feet.

There's a handy map of the power stations here...

http://www.electricity.org.uk/uk_map.html

Counted at least 5 the other day.

You can see 7. Ferrybrige, Eggborough, Drax, Thorpe Marsh (looking north) and the ones in Nottinghamshire (looking east) are Cottam, West Burton and High Marnham. And I have definitely seen Lincoln Cathedral from Derwent Edge.

You can see 7. Ferrybrige, Eggborough, Drax, Thorpe Marsh (looking north) and the ones in Nottinghamshire (looking east) are Cottam, West Burton and High Marnham. And I have definitely seen Lincoln Cathedral from Derwent Edge.

Thanks for that had a feeling that you could see 7 will have another look next time we get a clear day.

Thank you for that, Fowler. Some interesting stuff indeed, admittedly a large percent of which flew above my bonce. But! No list of Power Stations looking from North to South and their respective distances. What with the boffins at University, surely someone has done some research on all this? (HELP!)

I'd love it if it were true that you can see York Minster with or without binoculars. As someone mentioned on the previous thread, Sheffield is truly unique in that you can literally stand on top of the world and look out for absolutely miles.

For this reason amongst many others, I love Redmires and Ringinglow.

FTR, I intend to borrow my parents-in-law's telescope, position myself off Ringinglow Road and spend an hour or two studying the horizon - now's the best time to do it, probably. Complete with an OS map, I might be able to locate a hole plethora of interesting landmarks.

Might even be able to tell you if Lendal Cellars is open in York...,

There's a small cairn with an engraved plate on top of it showing the directions of the landmarks and distances. It has all the power stations listed.

The furthest thing I've seen from up there is Lincoln Cathedral, but allegedly the Humber Bridge can be seen.

To find it go up Ringinglow Road, turn right after the Norfolk Arms, past the Alpaca farm, down and up over the head of the River Porter and then the viewpoint is at the next junction with a small road going off right.

Here it is -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ringinglow+Road,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.354266,-1.573749&spn=0.013704,0.042014&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.909932,43.022461&oq=ringinglow+road&hnear=Ringinglow+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.354183,-1.573697&panoid=mNrg6SIAOXa2uo27MbGiNA&cbp=12,16.4,,0,15.34