John Bedford & Sons Ltd, Mowbray St. Neepsend

Only just found out about this site through my daughter in law. Can I add some names - Betty Cartwright, Pauline Hendy (was Smyth), Ruth was Mr Booth's Secretary, Roger in home sales team, Lynda Naylor office junior, Maureen Jackson (became Neal) Stan her husband was in joiners shop, Ann typed the orders, Gloria did General typing and customer quotes, I think someone called Alan worked in same office but he was to do with Bedford Steels. Carl Parkin was in drawing office, I recall a tale about him doing the plans for the driveway down to BRDC but unfortunately they tested it out using a car (quite steep from the road) so when it came to a lorry it got stuck, don't know how true it was. Bob Wood manager there. Melvyn Neyt worked in file warehouse, young dark haired lad called Bob worked in packing with Arthur and Edith (went to Jersey every year with their spouses), also Paul Innocent very quiet lad. Les Wright was in forwarding office (well into Boys Brigade)

The Parkwood used to be a Whitbread House and the Douglas was Stones I'm sure. I seem to remember the Douglas as the cosiest of the two even though it was right up there in the farthest corner. Why I found myself up there drinking whilst I lived in Meersbrook I'll never know, once you got of the bus at "The Gardners" you were on your own. Good days in any event.

Regards

Neil Memmott

The Douglas Inn right at the top of the hill at Parkwood Springs was a Tetley pub. My aunty and uncle owned this pub in the early 70s up until it's demolition and I lived there too.

My dad Eddie Mcgovan worked at John Bedfords most of his working life he was a file hardner he also had a brother Mick Mcgovan who worked there as well.

John Bedford , was my first workplace , I was 15 and employed as a file cutter ,I lasted about three weeks , thank god for technology .:hihi:

The noise and vibration those file cutting machines made was horrendous, it was mainly women that operated them. I watched them install a new machine in the cutting shop and they had to dig a 7ft hole into which concrete was poured for the foundations.

Just wondering if anyone remembers my dad - Ted Brown - or Edwin Brown was his proper name. I think he worked his way up the ladder (though not sure it was a very big ladder). He started in 1957 as a Production Control Manager, then was Production Director. He left in 1974. I'm just going through some of his old things. He has a really nice reference from J.A Wade. Hoping someone remembers him....

Only just found out about this site through my daughter in law. Can I add some names - Betty Cartwright, Pauline Hendy (was Smyth), Ruth was Mr Booth's Secretary, Roger in home sales team, Lynda Naylor office junior, Maureen Jackson (became Neal) Stan her husband was in joiners shop, Ann typed the orders, Gloria did General typing and customer quotes, I think someone called Alan worked in same office but he was to do with Bedford Steels. Carl Parkin was in drawing office, I recall a tale about him doing the plans for the driveway down to BRDC but unfortunately they tested it out using a car (quite steep from the road) so when it came to a lorry it got stuck, don't know how true it was. Bob Wood manager there. Melvyn Neyt worked in file warehouse, young dark haired lad called Bob worked in packing with Arthur and Edith (went to Jersey every year with their spouses), also Paul Innocent very quiet lad. Les Wright was in forwarding office (well into Boys Brigade)[/quote

My dad was Carl Parkin never heard this story though .

Just wondering if anyone remembers my dad - Ted Brown - or Edwin Brown was his proper name. I think he worked his way up the ladder (though not sure it was a very big ladder). He started in 1957 as a Production Control Manager, then was Production Director. He left in 1974. I'm just going through some of his old things. He has a really nice reference from J.A Wade. Hoping someone remembers him....

I remember a Mr Brown as the top man down there, I think he had greyish hair and a moustache? Never really met him personally as senior management rarely came down on the shop floor, except for one meeting where some of the machine operators were seeking a pay rise!

Aw thanks carosio - it means a lot that someone remembers him. I think he was quite high up (looking at his CV anyway). Yes he had grey hair and may well have had a moustache at that time. I was born at about the time he left Bedfords and all I remembered was that he worked at Gordon Tools. It was only last night that I found out he was only at Gordon Tools for about 5 years but at Bedfords for nearly 20 years. Thanks for saying you remember him :-)

---------- Post added 01-04-2018 at 17:41 ----------

I started work at Bedfords in summer 1973. Les Wright gave me my interview,remember being nervous but it was like having a chat with a friendly uncle ! got a quick tour of file warehouse with a guy called David Starr,back down to Les and was offered the job:) Had a really happy time working with Melvyn Neyt.Sorting orders for despatch collecting all the inspected and boxed up files and rasps.Loads of lovely friendly ladies in the packing section.They seemed to be really taken with my long hair at the time(always been into rock music) The two guys on inspection,Mick and Terry used to give me some stick,but all friendly banter.I can remember a lad called Colin,he worked in the despatch warehouse,a good lad was Colin but a right clumsy bugger ! A few more names,Steve Wright an office lad i got to know.Driver called Malcolm played football with him for a while, office lass Kay Skelton,dated her on and off for a couple of years.When the file warehouse was taken over by Spear & Jackson i believe it was moved to Birmingham.I was offered a job on a machine,but luckily enough i had something lined up at Viners ltd.I remember there being a lot of tears shed after the announcement.

Edited by bothamlad

Just come across this thread. Back in the mid sixties I knew two girls who worked at Bedford tools - Dorothy Salter and Linda Poole. Anyone remember them?

I remember Betty Cartwright.  I worked in the same office although I was on the sales side. 
I remember we had some happy times before I moved to Stanley Tools in 1964. (Stayed there over 40 years!)

I worked with Alan Smith. We were under Eric Booth. 
I have lived in Kidderminster 50 years but still pay the occasional visit to Sheffield. How it’s changed!!