Alloy Wheel refurbishment/repairs recommendations. No advertising

does anyone know where I can get my wheels diamond cut at a reasonable price its £180.00 per wheel :loopy:

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 20:29 ----------

and I want 3 wheels doing!!! its only oxidisation due to pressure whashing ffs total of 3 x 180 = 540ish these wheels are 16" Mercedes and its only a skim up no damage other than surface oxidisation

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 20:30 ----------

does anyone know where I can get my wheels diamond cut at a reasonable price its £180.00 per wheel :loopy:

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 20:29 ----------

and I want 3 wheels doing!!! its only oxidisation due to pressure whashing ffs total of 3 x 180 = 540ish these wheels are 16" Mercedes and its only a skim up no damage other than surface oxidisation

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 20:30 ----------

I'm not familiar with the diamond cut you refer to but I had my alloys refurbished at AB Painting on Finchwell Close at Handsworth. His name is Andy 07788 941776. Done a quality job.

I did bits of research and did consider Metal Magic due to good reputation but my alloys had not been kirbed in any way. My lacquer had started to go patchy which apparently is common with a polished finish on an alloy as water can get behind the lacquer or so I've been told. I had all 4 18" wheels rubbed down and resprayed without the polished finish as requested for £150! Was only 3 months ago but still looking great. Any inspection of them is welcome.

I would highly recommend Platinum Alloy Wheel Solutions.

I had the same problem and they did a fantastic job!

Has any one got any relevent updates on this repair thread please?

Considering the price of a replacement set of wheels £192 is a drop in the ocean.

It`s a drop in the ocean if you`ve got £192 that you don`t want to spend on anything else.... It may be cheap for refurbishing alloy wheels, but as I said above, 4 decent quality wheel trims are about £25.

---------- Post added 30-05-2014 at 13:55 ----------

I'm not familiar with the diamond cut you refer to but I had my alloys refurbished at AB Painting on Finchwell Close at Handsworth. His name is Andy 07788 941776. Done a quality job.

I did bits of research and did consider Metal Magic due to good reputation but my alloys had not been curbed in any way. My lacquer had started to go patchy which apparently is common with a polished finish on an alloy as water can get behind the lacquer or so I've been told. I had all 4 18" wheels rubbed down and resprayed without the polished finish as requested for £150! Was only 3 months ago but still looking great. Any inspection of them is welcome.

Did they do that without removing the tyres ? The lacquer peeling is all that`s wrong with mine, I`ve seen quite a few other Ford Focus cars with the same type of wheels as mine with the same problem, I suspect it`s a "stock fault". £150 is less than £192, but still more than I really want to pay.

You could try just rubbing them down with 1200 wet & dry and then polishing them back up with G3.

Not perfect but it will probably remove most of the horrible look of peeling lacquer and won't cost much at all.

Finally had mine refurbed, Hillsborough Auto's £25 a wheel (16")

Must say they did a spot on job, very pleased!!!

ooh where's that?

It`s a drop in the ocean if you`ve got £192 that you don`t want to spend on anything else.... It may be cheap for refurbishing alloy wheels, but as I said above, 4 decent quality wheel trims are about £25.

Then don't get them done. It's not actually affecting anything. I've got various pings, scrapes etc that need sorting but as they don't actually affect the running of the car they don't get done until I have spare cash.

Save some money and get it done properly.

Paint 'em black (or a choice of colours) with Hammerite.

Doesn't effect the driving! ;)

---------- Post added 30-05-2014 at 13:55 ----------

Did they do that without removing the tyres ? The lacquer peeling is all that`s wrong with mine, I`ve seen quite a few other Ford Focus cars with the same type of wheels as mine with the same problem, I suspect it`s a "stock fault". £150 is less than £192, but still more than I really want to pay.

They just push the tyres of the rim. They didn't remove them completely I believe.

If it's a 'tyre on' refurb it's probably just spray paint.

Powdercoating is more durable, but it needs to be burnt in using a blast oven, hence removing all the tyres, valves, ets.

Can anyone recommend a reputable mobile alloy repair/refurb company please? One of the wheels is bubbling a bit and the others just need a good buffering? Thanks Forumites

Edited by miamarriot