Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

My Favourite places for fish and chips in Sheffield are easily Brenda's in town, New Cod on the Block in Walkley and the one I like the most, Marishell's in Ecclesfield.

Yes, I've been going to Brenda's for 20 years. Our office used to be nearby, but even when we moved up the road I still found my way back there. The redoubtable Liz runs a tight ship. Not sure who was the eponymous Brenda?

Yes, I've been going to Brenda's for 20 years. Our office used to be nearby, but even when we moved up the road I still found my way back there. The redoubtable Liz runs a tight ship. Not sure who was the eponymous Brenda?

I'm a fan of that chippy too, took my 10yr old lad for the first time a few weeks ago and he was well impressed :)

Just been to Darnall fisheries and they were absolutely awful.

Yep same as one on richmond shops [used to be rolands ] fish always under cooked .The number of people who go in and ask for them to be put em back in to be cooked again or longer you would think he would take the hint. :hihi: Let the women do the cooking and you stick to peeling the potatoes man

Edited by spider1

Again if you ever fancy a run out print a page from this thread and bring it to my chippy. I will give you a free mini fish meal! Just for my fellow Sheffield chatters!

Worst fish & chip shop is Arundel Road Fisheries, Chapeltown.

You always have to wait ages, service is soooooo slow ( you'd think they were on a go slow ! ) After waiting, the food isn't that good either.

Tried them several times....... always the same, in fact the last time I walked out after telling them I was fed up of waiting ! :nono:

I use Arundel Road chip shop at least once a week, sometimes two or three times and I can honestly say I have never had a problem with the service or the food. The ladies who work there are always very friendly and chatty.

Sometimes you have to wait for large fish as these are cooked to order, but if you order anything that is cooked to order just do it as you enter and by the time it gets to your turn to be served it is cooked and ready for you.

I think its one of the best chip shops.

Your experience of the Abbey Friar is not unique, I think they've lost it too. It's a shame, what's happened?

Yeah , I agree ...

It's a shame really , I'm sure it's still the same owner,It just seems to have been going downhill for years

Have to disagree with that! Their fish tastes the same as the chips and I once challenged him on the origin of the cod which was grey and chewy and he said it's "the same as cod but not British" whatever that means. Also, buy a large peas off them and a small peas for comparison. The shape of the containers is different but there's no difference in the quantity they hold.

The only chip shop that was worth going to in Mosborough, when I was working in the area up to a couple of years ago, was Tony's on Chapel Street but I've been told it's changed hands recently.

Have to agree with that. Whatever fish they sell is not cod as we know it. If they are telling you it's cod, ask them why all the fish are the same size and shape.

I really hate paying out for 'fish' to get something mushy and tasteless. It used to happen a lot at the Oak House in Handsworth. I sometimes go to Salt & Vinegar' in Rotherham Town centre and the fish is big and beautiful.

Think they changed owners a few months ago ./ Hope so anyway you could see the fat on the fishcakes swimming ugh horrible:rant:

Have to disagree with that! Their fish tastes the same as the chips and I once challenged him on the origin of the cod which was grey and chewy and he said it's "the same as cod but not British" whatever that means. Also, buy a large peas off them and a small peas for comparison. The shape of the containers is different but there's no difference in the quantity they hold.

The only chip shop that was worth going to in Mosborough, when I was working in the area up to a couple of years ago, was Tony's on Chapel Street but I've been told it's changed hands recently.

A lot of places use Vietnamese catfish instead of cod, as its cheaper and increases their profits:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1199190/Catfish-chips-anyone.html

(apologies for the DF link)

Totally agree it's overpriced and warmed up. Never rated Tonys either

This thread prompted me to try Tony's again when I was near the other day and I must say it has gone downhill in some ways. Very untidy behind the counter and generally scruffy looking as were the staff- black isn't a good colour if you're working with starchy food. I thought his fish was good but the chips just weren't

Townend fish bar at Gleadless is very very good if anyone is passing, prefer them to Whitbys.

Best bar far is the cottage at ecclesfield worse is marichelles at ecclesfield same for value aswell Liam and co are brilliant at the cottage there fish special is to die for