Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

I haven't found one decent chippie since moving to sheffield.

They either have the more batter than fish - or they wouldn't know a decent portion of chips if it slapped them about the face with a wet kipper.

My fav' chippy of all time is a small chippy in Wosborough Common, Barnsley. Their chips were great and in large quantities and their fish was sold in brick like sizes.

Never got any kind of stomach upset from them either - which is more than can be said for some chippies round ere.

Moon Maiden

Guest Guest
Originally posted by "cellarboy"

...The Baracuda on City Road. No question. ..

There you go. I was about to say exactly the same thing. Their "dustbin lid" chip butties are the dogs.

Guest PaulK

I Agree RPG!

There is only one good place in England for chips and thats cornwall. Newquay, Padstow, Wadebridge all have good chippies. By far one of the best I've been to is Harry Ramsdens and Barnicutts.

Ther best one in Sheffield is probably Harthill chippy. Its gorgeous, its not in Sheffield but on the outskirts. Try it.

Paul

Guest Guest

Best chippie for miles around used to be "Queenies" at Hartley brook,Shiregreen. people used to travel miles for their Fish.

Not sure if its still there as I now live in Norfolk, where the Fishcakes are small and rissole like"yukk". :(

Don't know about the best...but some grest names around here,choose from www.inthenet.cod or battersea fish home!

Guest Guest

the best chippie in sheffield is becketts at nanor top. only trouble is you gotta be quick or you come back to find youve had your wheels nicked!! oh, and another downside is the staff. they all support u****d. tonys at mosborough is good too!

Guest Guest
Originally posted by "Anonymous"

the best chippie in sheffield is becketts at Manor top. only trouble is you gotta be quick or you come back to find youve had your wheels nicked!! oh, and another downside is the staff. they all support u****d. tonys at mosborough is good too!

Admiral, without a doubt. Good chips and great sized haddock.

One at Swallownest is now under new management though?

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

One at Swallownest is now under new management though?

Yeah - it's not an Admiral any more. Still does fine fish and chips, though :)

Moon Maiden

Get round to the Supper Spot at Malin bridge at the bottom of Loxley Road! I can speak from experience, as I've tried plenty and this one is consistantly excellent. (I last had some for my tea last night!) :D:):D

We here at Sheffield Community Information have, over the past year, been on a search for the best Sheffield Chippy. Travelling across the city on recommendations from friends, family and work colleagues has been an interesting journey! One thing that became clear to us is, people all too often accept poor food/music/art/whatever as our society becomes more dumbed-down by the minute :-) People would rather eat Mcdonalds than a proper cheeseburger! Anyhoo, I was on a personal mission to find a chippy that could match the 'Becketts' of old (people living in S2 will remember), or even the 'Baracuda' of old (on city road, when it was run by a greek woman called mary). All to no avail. Until...

Manor Park fisheries were quite nice and alwasy seemed busy, Darnall were excellent one week, poor the next. But the winner, by a long mile, has to be Richmond Fisheries on Richmond Road. Not only is the fish whiter than white, but the chips actually HAVE SOME TASTE!!!!!

Thing is with chippys, they all have their off days. But if you go to richmond on a good day, you're in for a real treat.

So, whats the best Burger King in Sheffield :-)

According to the Sea Fish Industry Authority, Pages Fisheries in Castleford is the best Fish and Chip Shop in the North East of England.

Here in Sheff, I quite the one opposite the Owen building of Hallam university. Can't remember what it's called.