Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

I will give you a try Tim. As I mentioned, it's not a regular thing for me. (Used to be when I was a kid growing up in a mining village not too far from Whitwell as it happened). But you sound like a decent chap and I dare say I could find a good reason to come out that way - do a bit of cycling maybe and head out towards the beautiful Clumber Park area.

2 questions for you in the meantime:

I've read/heard that the Elm Tree Pub in Elmton does good food. It's not so far from you - have you tried it? What's your view?

Batter! it confounds me. I can make the perfect Yorkshire puddings (after years of trying I found a perfect method that ensures they rise up to the size of a small football every time!) but when it comes to making batter for fish...oh dear! It's never any good. It either doesn't stick to the fish or it sticks to it and comes out like toffee! Any tips for a simple batter recipe for fish?

Never been to the Elm tree pub sorry. Not my cup of tea. I am a burger and fry man, we use a pre made batter mix. We have always used the same brand for 29 years now. If is not broke don't fix it. If you come to the chippy I will give you some rice cones, we cloth the fish in the rice cones to dry it before it's battered so it gets a nice coating and an even Finnish.

Broomhill Friery. It's no contest.

Yuk!! No thanks.

BEST CHIPPY IN ENGLAND

SEVEN SEAS WICKERSLEY ROTHERHAM

Cooked in peanut oil. Real cod, NOT cat/white fish like other chip shops. Try it :thumbsup:

Edited by nikki-red

OH come on you carnt beet dripping for cooking chips every thing els is a substitute

OH come on you carnt beet dripping for cooking chips every thing els is a substitute

Peanut oil is more healthier and it makes the batter more crispy. Its more expensive, but it is worth it (£8.75 for small cod & chips). Animal fats mixed with fish is not right, only to commoners it is. The English tradition is peanut oil. Its greedy profit takers that have introduced cobbler fish, whitefish, and catfish fried in low cost fats like palm fat, vegetable fat, or animal fat. Its all about ripeseed and peanut oil now.

Seven Seas Chip Shop has won awards. They also have a state of the art fryers. They cook the chips and cod separately to avoid taste clashing and customers who are on a nightshade diet.

Peanut oil is more healthier and it makes the batter more crispy. Its more expensive, but it is worth it (£8.75 for small cod & chips). Animal fats mixed with fish is not right, only to commoners it is. The English tradition is peanut oil. Its greedy profit takers that have introduced cobbler fish, whitefish, and catfish fried in low cost fats like palm fat, vegetable fat, or animal fat. Its all about ripeseed and peanut oil now.

Seven Seas Chip Shop has won awards. They also have a state of the art fryers. They cook the chips and cod separately to avoid taste clashing and customers who are on a nightshade diet.

ime afraid every thing you say about traditional fish & chip frying is wrong.

C & P

ow does it work?

Peanut oil is high in monounsaturated “good” fat, and low in saturated “bad” fat, which is believed to help prevent heart disease and lower cholesterol. However, in animal studies, peanut oil has been shown to clog arteries, and this would increase the risk for heart disease.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-483-peanut%20oil.aspx?

activeingredientid=483&activeingredientname=peanut%20oil

ime afraid every thing you say about traditional fish & chip frying is wrong.

C & P

ow does it work?

Peanut oil is high in monounsaturated “good” fat, and low in saturated “bad” fat, which is believed to help prevent heart disease and lower cholesterol. However, in animal studies, peanut oil has been shown to clog arteries, and this would increase the risk for heart disease.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-483-peanut%20oil.aspx?

activeingredientid=483&activeingredientname=peanut%20oil

"However, in animal studies, peanut oil has been shown to clog arteries, and this would increase the risk for heart disease."

We are not animals. And where is your sources?

Monounsaturated fats are good for you. You can always try rapeseed or olive oil as a substitute. I normally get a lot of patients like you. Its something that I have to accept! Enjoy your local CHIPPY....M8 :hihi:

P.S its "beats" NOT "beets"....mate :loopy:

"However, in animal studies, peanut oil has been shown to clog arteries, and this would increase the risk for heart disease."

Monounsaturated fats are good for you. You can always try rapeseed or olive oil as a substitute. I normally get a lot of patients like you. Its something that I have to accept! Enjoy your local CHIPPY....M8 :hihi:

My Last Post on the matter

Yes we are animals

My Bold

where's my source, its staring you in the face, its the web M.D, Medical Doctor

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+peanut+oil+good+for+you

Edited by kidley

We most certainly are animals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_taxonomy

See under 'Kingdom' it says 'Animalia'.

I'd be fascinated to know what you think we are if not animals..

Try living in australia ,ive been here 25 years and cant get decent fish and chips, its battered shark and tastes ****