Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

I can recommend the Market Chippy and also Woodseats Fisheries. I've been to both recently and both were superb. Along with Brenda's, they could hold their own in Leeds, chippy capital of Yorkshire.

I believe they are all owned by members of the same extended family mind you, so it must be a genetic thing.

I think you will find the top class robs chip shop at greenhill and the chip restaurant /café at Attercliffe also same family all good and sensible prices/good value for quality food,i only go to all these.

Poseidon on Abbey Lane Woodseats has been a fav for a while but their batter is hopeless. Always stuck on the paper when you get home. Another price rise to £6:60 this week for Fish and Chips has me looking elsewhere now i'm afraid.

While we are talking about the fish/batter sticking to the paper can I get some feedback? I have been to the fish fryers convention and they are trying to push the cardboard boxes in a big way (like pizza boxes). They are claiming customers like fish/CHIPS better in boxes than paper. The cheapest I can get the boxes from my suppliers are 15p each! This would have to be added to the cost of the portion. So do you guys like paper or boxes. I do enjoy my chips wrapped in paper and I always eat them from the paper. But saying that I obviously don't go anywhere else to buy them (if you get my drift lol)

While we are talking about the fish/batter sticking to the paper can I get some feedback? I have been to the fish fryers convention and they are trying to push the cardboard boxes in a big way (like pizza boxes). They are claiming customers like fish/CHIPS better in boxes than paper. The cheapest I can get the boxes from my suppliers are 15p each! This would have to be added to the cost of the portion. So do you guys like paper or boxes. I do enjoy my chips wrapped in paper and I always eat them from the paper. But saying that I obviously don't go anywhere else to buy them (if you get my drift lol)

Paper every time for me !

Paper.

I never buy them if served in boxes.

Paper for chips and fish:)

Why are the portions of chips so huge these days. 40yrs ago chips were served in a small greaseproof bag.

MInd you I look around, Crystal Peaks to name but one, to see the detrimental effect these huge portions of take away food are having on the population.

Pension crisis, don't make me laugh ... a lot of these huge blobs won't see 50, let alone be drawing old age pension.

What road in Whitwell is your shop on Tim1?

What road in Whitwell is your shop on Tim1?

Hangar Hill

S80 4SD number 26 if you have a sat nav

---------- Post added 08-11-2016 at 23:14 ----------

Why are the portions of chips so huge these days. 40yrs ago chips were served in a small greaseproof bag.

MInd you I look around, Crystal Peaks to name but one, to see the detrimental effect these huge portions of take away food are having on the population.

Pension crisis, don't make me laugh ... a lot of these huge blobs won't see 50, let alone be drawing old age pension.

We sell 3 sizes, cone of chips, 1 pint pot size and 2 pint pot size (we measure them in stainless steel pots). We sell more cone size portion as people either want "just a few" and to be honest we basically sell a scoop for £1.20 so I would rather sell them. Or it's the other way people want a large portion and complain there are not enough. One man last week complained because he wanted the large portion to feed 4 people lol.

They're popular down my local - well the sort of meal deals that come in them are popular (sausage, chips, beans sort of thing). I guess if you are eating on the hoof, they're far more practical than everything teetering on a tray, but if you're taking them home its paper for me.

Hangar Hill

S80 4SD number 26 if you have a sat nav

---------- Post added 08-11-2016 at 23:14 ----------

We sell 3 sizes, cone of chips, 1 pint pot size and 2 pint pot size (we measure them in stainless steel pots). We sell more cone size portion as people either want "just a few" and to be honest we basically sell a scoop for £1.20 so I would rather sell them. Or it's the other way people want a large portion and complain there are not enough. One man last week complained because he wanted the large portion to feed 4 people lol.

Thanks I might give them a try on Friday.

Thanks I might give them a try on Friday.

I won't be there lunch as I am going to a funeral. We open 11:30am until 1:30pm then 4:30pm until 9pm.