Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

I don't want to get in trouble with the mods lol

Mon-sat 11:30-1:30 then 4:30-8pm

Excluding this coming Monday (15th)closed as having extraction fan and ducting cleaned and a new roof! Say good bye to 2 grand lol :(

It's ok I've looked at your website CHIP INN whitewell

5 star hygiene rating

It's ok I've looked at your website

5 star hygiene rating

Yes we have a 5 star rating. The website needs updating, it was done by my friends daughter for a school project.

Yes we have a 5 star rating. The website needs updating, it was done by my friends daughter for a school project.

I keep saying I'm gonna give you a try, will have to make the effort as I only live about 15mins away.

It is now in the new moor market

Thanks Busman .

The best chippy in Sheffield has to be Poseidon on wood seats

I thought it was average, big portions but not great.

I think you are a fat person Sir. Am I correct?

Goodness, no. It's just that they started cutting jeans funny a few years ago, honest. I should have said that the big fish could have been split between two of us. We go occasionally if the Arundel Lane chippy is closed and his lunchtime £3.50 (I think) deal of a small fish, chips and a sauce is about the size I like. Pretty decent standard but the batter doesn't stay crisp long when wrapped, best eaten fresh.

Just been to New Cod on the block to find that Tony is no longer in command. I thought this might be the case after he was missing throughout the summer. sadly already the quality has taken a knock and there has been a price hike. Sorry guy's no longer my fav.

This! Tried many, Poseidon wins!

My local chip shop in Minehead is run by a smashing guy called Savee. We were chatting a while ago and when he knew I originated from Sheffield he said his family ran a chip shop on the Manor Estate about 20 years ago. Savee worked for the family whilst at Sheffield Hallam University. He bought Bampton Street Fish Bar in Minehead 16 years ago and runs it to this day with his family.

I asked if he had thought of selling the Yorkshire Fishcake in his Minehead shop ... he said he loves them that he'd tried it a few years ago and couldn't sell them as people didn't know what they were and were unwilling to try them ... also he stopped doing gravy as gravy on fish and chips down here is practically unheard of.

Today he makes his own homemade fishcakes which are cod, mashed potato in a light batter ... very nice they are too and only 75p.

Maybe one day Savee we can give the Yorkshire Fishcake a try again!!!!

As for Tony's at Mosborough ... when Tony ran it, the fish and chips were the best I've ever tasted and his Yorkshire Fishcakes were out of this world. Seems to be a bit up and down these days on the odd occasion I have visited whilst in Sheffield.

30 years ago there was as chip shop in Perranporth sold Yorkshire Fishcakes. I used to drive 15 miles from Redruth for a Yorkshire Fishcake. I believe it was run by a guy and wife from Doncaster.

It's strange that you only generally find the sliced potato fishcake in the north of England, when I reckon they are far superior to the fish pate variety