Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

On 7/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, SheffieldLUG said:

Any thread about best chippy in Sheffield starts and ends with Poseidon on Abbey Lane!

Eugh!!

Last time I actually went to a chippy, was "A Salt n Battered" on top of London Road, they were very nice.... 

Other than that, the one at the back corner of the old markets (not sure if it's there in the new one)

Otherwise, I dunno - guess I don't bother any more

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Eugh!!

Last time I actually went to a chippy, was "A Salt n Battered" on top of London Road, they were very nice.... 

Other than that, the one at the back corner of the old markets (not sure if it's there in the new one)

Otherwise, I dunno - guess I don't bother any more

Haha, that name reminds me of the one in the movie Brassed Off....."In Cod We Trust"  lol

On 1/7/2019 at 4:05 PM, Ms Macbeth said:

We liked the fish from the chippy on the corner of Dykes Hall Rd.  The owners have recently changed but we thought we'd give it ago.  Open 11-9 on Saturdays the notice said, but at 5pm it was closed.  Perhaps not the best way for new owners to encourage custom.

Bet there are no pubs nearby anymore, for a chippy  to close that early on a Saturday  lol. I used to jump over my back garden wall on Minto Road and go to a F&C shop on Dykes Hall Road, mid to late 70s, the haddock was about a foot long and delicious, wonder if it's the same one with different owners.

I'm putting in another good word for The  Wadsley  Fryer chippy on Worrall Rd,  S6.  I come up to Sheff  at  least 3 or 4 times a year, to visit my family in that area  - and we usually end up having a "family fish & chips feast get-together" at least once during my visits.....if not twice! 

The Wadsley  Fryer's fish and chips are consistently tasty and hot, served in decent-sized  portions and  at reasonable prices. Their proper Sheffield fishcakes are really nice - and their mushy peas  come in that truly authentic, toxic. nuclear-strength bright green colour - which is the yardstick by which all  proper "chip-shop" mushy peas must be measured. 😁

The staff there are lovely- really quick and efficient, but nice, jolly and friendly too. I think it's  really decent local chippy - and I'll keep going back there again and again - as long as these same people are in charge of the place.

2 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I'm putting in another good word for The  Wadsley  Fryer chippy on Worrall Rd,  S6.  I come up to Sheff  at  least 3 or 4 times a year, to visit my family in that area  - and we usually end up having a "family fish & chips feast get-together" at least once during my visits.....if not twice! 

The Wadsley  Fryer's fish and chips are consistently tasty and hot, served in decent-sized  portions and  at reasonable prices. Their proper Sheffield fishcakes are really nice - and their mushy peas  come in that truly authentic, toxic. nuclear-strength bright green colour - which is the yardstick by which all  proper "chip-shop" mushy peas must be measured. 😁

The staff there are lovely- really quick and efficient, but nice, jolly and friendly too. I think it's  really decent local chippy - and I'll keep going back there again and again - as long as these same people are in charge of the place.

If I was being cynical i'd say you have some direct involvement with the plaice (sic),

Ocean fish and chips in Heeley/Chesterfield Rd, near the Crown Inn, now *theres* a lovely chippie 😉 

I have no direct connection with this plaice at all Brooker11.  I'm an honest sole

😁

If you can cope with being in the scummy end of town, then Trawlers Catch on Castle St and around the corner from Snig Hill police station is very good.

why is it so difficult to find a good chippy that still uses beef dripping to fry with?? why do they use bland veggie oil ?

Shaws Fish & Chips on Bridge St in Killamarsh have been my favourite for several years now.

One on West st or division st, High st and one down the Moor, I think they would do bomb.  Im not into Greggs and and cafes.  Good old Fish n Chips whilst browsing the shop windows.  I used to like the Hot Chesnut stand across from the Penny Black.  God walking around grub is what we need. :thumbsup:

theres a good chippy bottom of the moor,i go in threre often and sit and have a meal,seating for 50

30 Cumberland St, Sheffield S1 4PT

Edited by yorkyboyuk20
added more info