Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Anyone know if Rob's has now closed and the reasons why? Always looked to do a good trade and reasonable prices?

It sounds from what you've put that you think it's closed? I've no idea tbh. What makes you ask the question? Does it look like it's closed down for some reason?

It was open about 6 weeks ago if that's any help to you? I've tried it once on the recommendation of a friend. I can see why he liked it because you could get enough to feed a big family for about a tenner. The prices were very keen, especially if you went for one of their special deals. But I put quality before quantity and I thought it was o.k., nothing special tbh.

Sorry to hear it's closed down though, if indeed that's what's happened. And if it has closed down the most likely reason is that it's not paying.

I was told personally that there were disagreements over a new lease ,so he called it a day,its a pity as we don't have a decent traditional chippy in our area worth buying from

so not had any since he closed,the one on abbey lane is not bad but don't like thick batter,whats woodseats fisheries like? or anyone out there willing to open a decent chippy in our area?

Went past on Friday, about 1pm, and it was shut. Normally pretty busy then as well, so Id guess it's either closed down or the owners on holiday

I thought the new chippy was awful

Just realised, it's an old post.

Angel1.

I was told personally that there were disagreements over a new lease ,so he called it a day,its a pity as we don't have a decent traditional chippy in our area worth buying from

so not had any since he closed,the one on abbey lane is not bad but don't like thick batter,whats woodseats fisheries like? or anyone out there willing to open a decent chippy in our area?

Woodseats:

Poseidon: massive portions and alright chips but for me the batter hasn't been crispy enough of late. Can never finish a portion of fish and chips from there so me and the missus share one. 7/10

Woodseats Fisheries: cheaper than Poseidon and smaller portions that are just right for one person. Tasty batter and nice chips. 7/10

Phoenix: this chippy has really improved its fish and chips lately. Good quality, value and sensible portion sizes. 7/10

They're all alright and I visit them all. Quite lucky to have them all under a mile away

You can't go wrong with Woodseats Fisheries or Phoenix. Both have been there for donkey's years and are decent.

You can't go wrong with Woodseats Fisheries or Phoenix. Both have been there for donkey's years and are decent.

Went off Phoenix for a while but they're bang on their game now. Always very tasty

so its woodseats fisheries then,just a pity we don't have a decent chippy now in our area ,go on someone the people want a chippy now

I think "A Salt N Battered" on London Road is very good.

The "Union Jack" in Dore village is also good.

"Tony's" at Mosborough used to be very good but not been for years.

And the best I know, remotely near here, is Margaret's on Duke Street, just off Whittington Moor in Chesterfield. Traditional fish n chips, like they used to be 40 years ago.

Further afield, "Bryan's of Headingley" and "The Magpie" in Whitby.

And the best I know, remotely near here, is Margaret's on Duke Street, just off Whittington Moor in Chesterfield. Traditional fish n chips, like they used to be 40 years ago.

i had the pleasure of Margarets fish and chips on Monday last, still has big queues outside the door.

Woodseats:

Poseidon: massive portions and alright chips but for me the batter hasn't been crispy enough of late. Can never finish a portion of fish and chips from there so me and the missus share one. 7/10

Woodseats Fisheries: cheaper than Poseidon and smaller portions that are just right for one person. Tasty batter and nice chips. 7/10

Phoenix: this chippy has really improved its fish and chips lately. Good quality, value and sensible portion sizes. 7/10

They're all alright and I visit them all. Quite lucky to have them all under a mile away

Thats true although I really like poseidon they do have massive amounts of unhealthy batter on which I usually end up trimming before I eat,still a great chippy though.

One that tops all them is Dawsons in Worksop - superb.