Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

You can't knock Wetherspoons Fish Friday for taste and value.

FYI the one on Sharrow Vale Road (two steps, I think it is called) is closed on Sundays. I was surprised as I would imagine it being one of the busiest nights for fish and chips!

It wasn't so long ago that they weren't allowed to open on a Sunday because there was no fish landing or wholesale fish market that day. The fish wouldn't have been fresh.

A few weeks ago I bought fish and chips from the chippy in Burncross Road at Chapeltown (near the Royal Mail delivery office. The woman who served me charged me £6.50. Methinks that's for the shop, this is for me. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

I see a lot of people saying poseiden but it depends where you are from as your not going to travel 10 miles for chips are you ! Chippys for me are good or bad and not in between and by far my favourite is ballifield fry at handsworth, a propper English chippy run by English people who understand fish and chips !

Edited by Starlc

does anybody know any we have missed in Sheffield, i think we/you have mentioned every one?

Poseidon on Abbey Lane Woodseats has been a fav for a while but their batter is hopeless. Always stuck on the paper when you get home. Another price rise to £6:60 this week for Fish and Chips has me looking elsewhere now i'm afraid.

Wetherspoon's is hard to beat on freshness and price.

Quantity is on the small side but enough and its better for you to eat less.

. . . . . . . . . . .95% of the time ;-)

Its Fish & Chips Friday today

Poseidon on Abbey Lane Woodseats has been a fav for a while but their batter is hopeless. Always stuck on the paper when you get home. Another price rise to £6:60 this week for Fish and Chips has me looking elsewhere now i'm afraid.

What a rip off !

If we're talking pubs rather than Fish and Chip shops, I paid £6.25 for a "mini" cod and chips at the Sportsman in Lodge Moor, a portion more generous than any normal cod and chips I've ever had in a takeaway. Fresh, crisp batter, flaky fish, great chips. Probably the best value, tastiest pub meal I've had in quite some time. If you want to go for the jumbo portion, take a hungry friend!

went to chippy last night next to viva tequila , I think its called townend fish bar . the chips were ok but the fishcakes were rancid , some sort of mashed up fish that definitely was not cod or haddock . Honestly it was vile

What a rip off !

I have had a meeting with a buyer at one of my suppliers this week. Next week I am increasing most prices too. Cod up £20 for a 60lb case, potatoes are already increasing 50p a sack due to the poor weather when they were lifted they are not in the best, so good ones are priced at a premium. My dripping which is imported from Germany is £1.50 a box dearer! As a sole trader I can't absorb these costs much longer. My regular cod (7oz) and a portion of chips will now go over the £5 mark!

went to chippy last night next to viva tequila , I think its called townend fish bar . the chips were ok but the fishcakes were rancid , some sort of mashed up fish that definitely was not cod or haddock . Honestly it was vile

It used to be good before it changed hands a few years ago.