Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Does anyone know of any fish and chip shops that open on  Sunday afternoons/early evenings? A little relative of mine begged for fish and chips from a chippy for his birthday tea, but being a Sunday, his parents had to tell him that chippies don't open on a Sunday. It's some sort of ancient by-law, apparently! However, we heard through the grapevine that there's a chippy somewhere on or around  Herries Rd, S5, that actually does open on Sundays.

Does anyone know of this mythical place..... if so, where it is … and whether their fish and chips is any good?  

2 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Does anyone know of any fish and chip shops that open on  Sunday afternoons/early evenings? A little relative of mine begged for fish and chips from a chippy for his birthday tea, but being a Sunday, his parents had to tell him that chippies don't open on a Sunday. It's some sort of ancient by-law, apparently! However, we heard through the grapevine that there's a chippy somewhere on or around  Herries Rd, S5, that actually does open on Sundays.

Does anyone know of this mythical place..... if so, where it is … and whether their fish and chips is any good?  

The fish and chips use to be nice from Norwood Fish Bar, they were cooked in dripping and they did open on a Sunday, but it is over 6 years ago since I last had any from there.

This is the phone number below if you want to give them a call.

411 Herries Rd, Sheffield S5 7HF

Norwood Fish Bar 0114 242 4127

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

The fish and chips use to be nice from Norwood Fish Bar, they were cooked in dripping and they did open on a Sunday, but it is over 6 years ago since I last had any from there.

This is the phone number below if you want to give them a call.

411 Herries Rd, Sheffield S5 7HF

Norwood Fish Bar 0114 242 4127

It does open on Sundays.

On 07/02/2020 at 14:46, MaxVinella said:

Have had fish and chips at the University Arms a few times - and agree is excellent, as is the Carvery section on Saturdays.      Regarding the students, it is University Arms after all, and the University of Sheffield brings around 30,000 students in Sheffield  (and as much Sheffield Hallam) - which creates many jobs and need for accommodation, food, pubs etc .       So, we should all be pleased of their presence in town.

I remember back when that was the 192 Club for technical and non-teaching staff and members only, students and lecturers needed to be signed in by a member. It was a great place back then, about the only one in the area where you could be sure of a quiet drink after work. Then the University decided it could make some money out of it so they took it away from us and turned it into a crap pub.

On 12/02/2020 at 22:07, Brendan2010 said:

Johns in Stocksbridge has never failed for me 👍

This topic has now gone full circle, the OP in 2003 said Johns in Stocksbridge.

Fry master on Attercliffe is the best place for fish & chips in Sheffield, eat in or take away. Cod meal which is cod, chips, peas, bread & butter with tea cost £6.50p.

I only like the above,woodseats fisheries,the market and brendas ,but I think they are all connected,but all use beef dripping ,any other nearer to lowedges or greenhill as I find them disappointing,we used to have robs at greenhill,often waited 30-40 min in queue on Fridays,but been replaced by a chip/kebab shop and not to my taste.

the pesidon on abbey lane is open sundays,batter a bit thick in my opinion,not cooked in dripping,but huge portions,i buy chips/fish and bread cake for me and the wife and I eat a lots and theres plenty for us both,but prefer woodseats fisheries as its dripping tasty

I hate to think how much I have spent in The Admiral Mosborough over the years! Does anybody know if there were more than 5 of them and where was number 4?

The Admiral 1 Killamarsh

The Admiral 2 Mosborough

The Admiral 3 Frecheville

The Admiral 5 Beighton

1 hour ago, Zagreth said:

I hate to think how much I have spent in The Admiral Mosborough over the years! Does anybody know if there were more than 5 of them and where was number 4?

The Admiral 1 Killamarsh

The Admiral 2 Mosborough

The Admiral 3 Frecheville

The Admiral 5 Beighton

Kiveton is 4 I think.