Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

On 05/01/2020 at 22:38, Brooker11 said:

Had some good ones from an old favourite - Tony's at Mosborough last week.

Yep.  Still really good.  I think reading about it on here prompted me to go there a few weeks ago.  I've been back two or three times since.  I particularly like the beef dripping flavour and the crispy, crunchy batter on the fish, which is golden brown, not yellow and soft like the majority of chip shops.

52 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

Yep.  Still really good.  I think reading about it on here prompted me to go there a few weeks ago.  I've been back two or three times since.  I particularly like the beef dripping flavour and the crispy, crunchy batter on the fish, which is golden brown, not yellow and soft like the majority of chip shops.

Yes those are the reasons I go back very nice.

On 05/01/2020 at 15:17, Chaddamp said:

If you in Lowedges  area try Ocean at the shopping centre, Ash cooks fresh and the quality is fab and prices are too

Do you mean Seawaves on Lowedges Rd?

Yes ,I knew it had something to do with the sea soz

On 09/01/2020 at 12:18, Chaddamp said:

Yes ,I knew it had something to do with the sea soz

This is an interesting suggestion.  I wouldn't have thought to have gone there.  Are you recommending it because it's local to you or have you tried a lot of different chip shops and recommend this as being one of the very best?

I live Dronfield and the chippys open at set times which aren't always suitable for me.Ash at Sea Waves opens from 11.30am to 8.00pm which is just so handy, avoid school closing times cos he gets really busy then!

Brenda's on Earl Way, just off The Moor.  Decent food & prices for a city centre chippy. 

Always go there for a pre-match chip butty going to the Lane.  

not to bad,at the ocean,but think the fish is frozen ,but real chips/fish need to be cooked in dripping in my opinion ,like woodseats fisheries ,brendas,the market and many more,wish we had one that cooked in the traditional way at lowedges,greenhill area

My current favourites..

Kelham Friary, Gibraltar St

Trawlers Catch, Castle St

On 13/01/2020 at 12:55, Chaddamp said:

I live Dronfield and the chippys open at set times which aren't always suitable for me.Ash at Sea Waves opens from 11.30am to 8.00pm which is just so handy, avoid school closing times cos he gets really busy then!

I like the Jolly Frier on Egerton Rd Dronfield, behind Alfred Dunhams.

Me too when previous owners had it.I hear new owners have lost custom due to attitude and prices …..£3.30 for large chips!!!!

My vote goes to the University Arms on Brook Hill. Impressed me mightily last October. Went to a few Off The Shelf events up there straight from work and needed to eat. First time they gave me a whale. Was that chuffed with the quality I went back a few days later and ordered the same. They gave me another whale. Not a bad word to say about the place (except for all the students in there, obviously…. But most of them had bathed and some of the women had actually shaved).

Have had fish and chips at the University Arms a few times - and agree is excellent, as is the Carvery section on Saturdays.      Regarding the students, it is University Arms after all, and the University of Sheffield brings around 30,000 students in Sheffield  (and as much Sheffield Hallam) - which creates many jobs and need for accommodation, food, pubs etc .       So, we should all be pleased of their presence in town.